Home

2012 Elections - Phase 1 - Nominations

31 replies [Last post]
Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

Following the official announcement of me and Luna resigning as GMs, the Election Process for new GMs starts.

All the rules for GoMe's Election are expressed in this document. In particular the nomination process works this way:

during this phase there is the discovery of the candidates to the elections. Any Messenger can be a candidate, no matter how long he has been in the Guild or how many things he has done. The nominations are done publicly (usually on a thread on our public sections), and every Messenger can nominate as many Messengers as he wants (including himself). The length of the Nomination period is decided when the process starts, but usually is 1 week.
A Messenger becomes a valid candidate for the elections when he collects at least one nomination from someone else and one nomination from himself (the order doesn't count).

The Nomination Period will last for one week, starting today and finishing Wednesday 30th.

We have had some discussions in our private section for sounding the Guild before the actual announcement and a spontaneous nomination process was started. I'm going to put in order what came our of that discussion here.

Nomination Results:

Confirmed Candidates:

• Lyrositor (he nominated himself and Nev'yn confirmed him)
  • Doobes (nominated by Lyrositor, accepted nomination)

Potential Candidates:

None

Refused Candidates:

• Nev'yn (nominated by Polgara, but he declined the offer)
  • Polgara (nominated by Leonardo)
  • Tai'lahr (nominated by Nev'yn)

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

This is an extract of Lyrositor's post about his vision for the Guild.

My vision of the Guild is mostly as a great Nexus of news about Uru, with rel.to being the Linking Books to more content. As such, the Guild needs to be able to reach as many people as possible within the shortest humanly-achievable timespan. Since the Uru community seems to be being spread across multiple Shards once more, I therefore believe it should attempt to cover news everywhere - be it MO:ULa, Minkata, Gehn, TOC, or just Uru in general (obviously more importance should be attributed to the Shard with the most users, MO:ULa). That's pretty much what's already happening anyway. I just feel if the Guild was more present on the upcoming Shards, it would encourage explorers to boldy go where few avvies have gone before. I have firsthand experienced explorers confused about how to participate to Minkata, for example; the GoMe should be able to lead them to the right place (rel.to, a TCP article, whatever; more on TCP below).

However, important as the news might be, one must never forget the medium used to convey it, which is why the GoMe would ideally have multiple means of communication, on top of the main news website. The Cavern Criers are an important part of this, and should always be important. This is also where Uru2U comes in: a (slightly laugh) humorous way to communicate news with panache for the explorer wanting a fun recap of the events of the month(s) without having to read through pages of forum threads and chatlogs. IMO, it should be organized by the Guild, but made by any willing explorer. It would help of course if they were Messengers too, much like the newspaper team.

Speaking of which, it would appear that until such a time as a larger team can be formed, or that more time can be found by existing members, newspaper production is on hold. While I still believe a PDF-based and regularly-produced newspaper would still be the best way to go (since, like a newspaper, it can just be picked up occasionally for a read), I think the best way to go for now would be to move it to a web-based version styled to look like the actual Cavern Post (fixed width, paper background, connects to RSS feeds to pick up the latest news which it displays in a small column with the main content space being taken up by explorer-written articles; do mind that this is just an idea I'm throwing out there). Discussion of technical details of implementation could come once a concept has been hashed out.

The great thing about the Uru community is that you don't actually need to actively play the game to be a part of it. Thus, the GoMe should always be there for the explorer, whether it's IC (Cavern Criers), OOC (Website, TCP), or a mix of both (Uru2U). This is why I think we have to collectively discuss the best ways of reaching out to all explorers, through all possible means (this might include increased activity on Twitter, G+, etc.). The neutral status of the GoMe should allow it to touch all subjects in the most objective manner possible, fostering constructive discussion and debate where required.

That's my vision, from the perspective of a relatively new Messenger and Uruite. That's how I see the Guild as it is and as it should be (most of what I'm talking about is already there, mind). If ever I'm elected, I won't impose this vision, but I'd try to steer the Guild in its general direction - barring any objections, of course. Those who know me probably know that I'm always open to different opinions and ideas, and can quickly change my own views to reach a compromise - just don't you DARE bring up a Linux vs. Other Operating Systems debate with me. cool

Oh, and while I'm at it, if I'm elected, I promise to give everyone a 170% pay raise for their voluntary Guild work! wink

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I would like to nominate Polgara. She has been present in active and less active times, always ready to create new layouts for the magazine. She has often been present at our meetings, giving her opinion.

Trekluver
Trekluver's picture
Magazine team

I'll certantly be sad to see Leo and Lunanne go, but I completely understand their reasoning. I trust that the guild will vote with confidence on their sutable replacement.

From myself and the Guild of New Greeters, we wish you luck!

On a side note, how will this affect the future of rel.to?

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture
WebmasterTranslatorUru2U TeamMessenger

Trekluver wrote:

If I'm correct, rel.to will be maintained and AGMs will proceed as usual, since Leonardo will still be webmaster and will keep organizing the All Guilds Meeting.

Signature

Doobes
Doobes's picture
WebmasterCouncil memberMagazine teamCavern CrierUru2U TeamMessenger

Lyrositor wrote:

Trekluver wrote:

If I'm correct, rel.to will be maintained and AGMs will proceed as usual, since Leonardo will still be webmaster and will keep organizing the All Guilds Meeting.

Good!  Leo's the best at it anyway, although I'm still ready and willing to take over for him if he ever needs a break. :D

Trekluver
Trekluver's picture
Magazine team

That's good news, because at this point I kinda have some of the rel.to hyperlinks ingrained in my brain. :D

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger

Szark wrote:
Gorobay is still continuing to provide updates for rel.to...This has earned Gorobay the Messenger Badge.

To my knowledge, Gorobay is still active in updating rel.to...

...This is in addition to both Leo/Luna, plus Marten still "drops by"" to make suggestions, from time to time. cheeky

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |

Polgara
Polgara's picture
Magazine teamTranslatorMessenger

Thank you for the nomination Leo, but I don´t think I`m the right person for this. I don´t see myself in a leading position and prefer to stay in the background when possible in a helping and supporting role. I also fear that I won´t have enough time to be a good GM.

Tai'lahr
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

Leonardo wrote:

Potential Candidates:

• Tai'lahr (nominated by Nev'yn, she gave an answer but it wasn't a yes or no)

Yes, my post was purposely ambiguous. It's hard to say no to Nev'yn.  I have so much respect for him, his methods and his work ethic that I always presume he has a good reason for the things he does or the things he asks of others.  So, even though I didn't want the GM position, I left the door open just in case the guild really couldn't find anyone better suited and took the opportunity to ask questions I hoped would reveal that the other candidates were indeed better suited than myself.

But, no, at this time, I have neither the time nor the inclination to lead a group as important as this one in the manner it should be done.  I think the guild will do just fine with whoever the GMs are as long as we all continue to support their efforts.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

tick tock, time passes. we are almost there :)

Musica
Musica's picture
Magazine teamMessenger

Hi fellow Messengers,

Because there are two very strong candidates, I was wondering whether we should stick with having 2 GM's.

Either way, ours is the only guild I know of that hasn't experienced a lot of changes since MOULa. Let's run with it.

See you at the AGM.

Musica

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Do you mean we should have less or more GMs?

I'd be against having less GMs to guarantee that the absence of a single individual can't block everything, the "single point of failure".

I'd be against having more GMs because the guild is not big enough to need them. Previously we had 5 Chairs to lead, but they were useless with a little number of Messengers.

The deadline for nominations is today, at 24.00 UTC time

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

"Pepare to count down!"

"Preparing to count down, sir!"

"Count down!"

"Counting down, sir!"

9 hours... 8 hours... 7 hours...wink

Signature

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture

Leonardo wrote:
Do you mean we should have less or more GMs....Previously we had 5 Chairs to lead, but they were useless with a little number of Messengers.

The deadline for nominations is today, at 24.00 UTC time

Hey! Wait a second...

OHB wrote:
OHBjection!

Why isn't this in Ki-time?!? wink

Edit: I was actually surpised when I saw Musica make a comment...I was like, is she going to run for GM?!? Ah, well...

That would have been fun and interesting, at the very least!!!

@Leo: Please don't say the word "Chairs"" to me...That old organizational system was *so* complex, and who could vote on what...Services Chair, Liasion Chair, the "Big" Grand/Guild Master Chair....

cheeky

Ron Landry
Ron Landry's picture
TranslatorMessenger

I would be happy with the possible nomination of Lyrositor and / or Doobes.

And so I close realising that perhaps the ending has not been written ye

Doobes
Doobes's picture

Should I start getting nervous now? :P

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Relax, the Doomsday Clock indicates a good long 5 minutes before the world ends. wink

Signature

Doobes
Doobes's picture

/me looks around while hiding under his desk

Huh.  Seems nothing blew up.  So far, so good! :P

Seriously though, as one of your new GMs, I promise to continue on with the excellent standard set by our esteemed predecessors and hopefully keep things fun and exciting with the Guild for many days to come!

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Personally, I'd like to thank the Guild for letting a recently-appointed Translator like myself rise to such lofty heights so quickly. So a great thank you to the Guild, and special thanks to the outgoing GMs, Leonardo and Luna(nne), for their contributions and continuing work for the GoMe!

Signature

Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger

New blood comes new ideas. I have seen it many times over the years, it is a good thing....sometimes.:) I wish you all the best and I hope you can rasie the profile of the GoMe as an important vehicle for the continuation of MOULa.

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

So, it's been six months since you elected me and Doobes as absolute dictators enlightened leaders of the Guild. It's election time again... if you so wish to forcibly remove us from our thrones. angry

No, seriously, if you think elections are in order once more, or you want to nominate yourself, go ahead and tell us so that we can organize elections soon. laugh

Signature

Ahlisendar
Ahlisendar's picture
Magazine teamUru2U TeamMessenger

Hail Lyrositor!

naofun.blogspot.ca

Tai'lahr

I vote to deny parole for Lyrositor & Doobes..... er, I mean, why mess with a good thing?  Great job, guys!  Keep up the good work!  yes

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

No objections...for today ;P

Ahlisendar
Ahlisendar's picture
Magazine teamUru2U TeamMessenger

Actually... I changed my mind. I would like to nominate the one and only Zaphod Beeblebrox to become the next new GM of the GoMe!

naofun.blogspot.ca

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Sorry - the rule here is that only two heads can rule the Guild of Messengers, as well as only two people. So, this would make three heads, which would be completely unacceptable (also, each candidate must lawfully posess at least ONE head; no headless chickens).

Signature

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture

@Ahl: Can you have Z. B. drop by the Archive the next time you see him, please? I checked my files, and apparently nobody thought to have him fill out the standard #15501 Personnel Emergency Contact Form. We also still need to have his blood work sent over to Ly's lab for the purpose of cloning...er, I mean...genetic identification purposes. Want to be able to positively confirm the remains in the event of an attack by a hoarde of angry bahro, and all that.... cheeky

Lunanne
Lunanne's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMagazine moderatorMagazine teamTranslatorMessenger

I'm too slack to call for elections and vote again already. Not that it is necessary.

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Ballots are closed, the votes have been counted, and we're ready to announce the winners of this election:

In the lead with 0 votes, Doobes! However, this lead was tied with the only other candidate, Lyrositor, who also got a staggering 0 votes!

So what does this mean for you? It means we get to boss you around for another 6 months. devil

Signature

Tai'lahr

Congratulations to the winners! yes