Home

CAVCON and Guilds Awareness Party

78 replies [Last post]
Rhee

Hiya :)  I could probably be reference person for a couple of hours... Hopefully I have done my timezone conversions correctly... if 06.00 UTC equals 00.00 KI, then i'll take the 06.00 and 07.00 slots.  This would be 00.00 through to 01.59 KI time, correct?  Ummmm if not, let me know i'm totally wrong and i'll pick a different couple of slots :D 

EDIT: Oh, and for those of you who are like "Henh?  Who's this?"... I'm a recent recruit to the GoW.  kaelisebonrai and Lunanne know who I am :D

EDIT 2: Also.. I am not a D'niJ by any stretch of the imagination, but the last couple of nights in the cavern, a few friends and I have been doing some impromptu singing... live, unplugged sort of stuff.  If you are having trouble tracking down D'niJ's for the whole time, I can cover one or possibly two slots with a "live" concert... some covers and some original stuff of my own too.  Just let me know :D

kaeebonrai
kaeebonrai's picture

zomg, Rhee, a Live Concert sounds *awesome*. Please do! =D

*HUGS!*

I might consider being a referencey personage, at some point, I think its a public holiday here on that day =) Don't know what time though, I'll figure that out closer to the day =P

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

Sounds Great Rhee!

I have three of D'niJs still waiting to pick their times, so I don't know how much time will be left, we'll see. But a Live Concert would be awesome.

I'm adding you as a Reference Person for the time slots you selected. Could you post your KI number so I can send you all the necessary KiMails for the party when I have them ready?

adi

How about we cut down some of the D'niJ'ing time to fit the concert as a separate event?

As for me, I suspect that all the others wil be sleeping at the time so I can take the morning timeslot, 09:00-13:00 UTC. I can do more if nobody else is able to play earlier, let me know ^^. And I'm here --> http://adistoy.listen2myradio.com

Also, how do you feel about setting up a dress code for  the day? Like the Yeesha shirt maybe that has a special meaning??

kaeebonrai
kaeebonrai's picture

Please, Adi, no dresscode =P Dear god, no dresscode. >.>

adi

Okay okay let's pretend I didn't say it xD

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

yes we could make some place for the Live Concert, Alien has already said she can reduce her 6 hours broadcasting.

But I'd wait for all the pending D'niJs (LC and DMR) to submit their times first.

Also, I'm officially setting the Location to the Hood of Illusions City Instance.

Rhee

My KI is 13795598 :)

And the best time for me to actually pull off a concert would be like... late morning or early afternoon my time (I'm on same timezone as KI time currently), so something like... the 16.00 or 17.00 UTC slot, or else the 19.00 or 20.00 UTC slot.  I could do one hour  (3 15 min sets, with 7 min breaks between or so), so if either Alien or Dichromus is willing to give up one slot that would work for me :)  And if they're still around, they can play a few things during set breaks anyway.

*looks at schedule again*

Tell ya what.  If Alien will give up her last slot (18.00), that will be right at noon for me, and i can just postpone my lunch for an hour lol.  That way I wouldn't be breaking up someone else's time block.  But whatever works!!  I ain't picky :)

Donahoo

Leonardo wrote:

Also, I'm officially setting the Location to the Hood of Illusions City Instance.

Can this city instance be used by anybody? We once tried to have a party in the Guild of Healer's city instance and only members could go there. Plus the city has a population limit.

kaeebonrai
kaeebonrai's picture

@Donahoo, Yes, that instance can be - it also has no population limit. =)

By special abilities the greyhats have, that instance can be visited by others not from the hood. Most hood cities, no (Well, actually, all other hood cities, and all other /ages/ have this ability... its you need the know-how to do it, and Cyan frowns on it being used on most instaces >.>). And if you link someone in using the partybot hoikas has planned, there's no population limit. Seriously, don't worry about that. =)

Donahoo

I haven't been to the special hoods, so I didn't know.

kaeebonrai
kaeebonrai's picture

Well, you won't be linking through the bahrostone. You'll essentially be linking without a book at all - A PM to the bot, and it'll whisk you away, if hoikas finishes it =P

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Yes Donahoo, what kaelis said.

Hoikas kindly offered to have a partyBot that is able to link who PMs him to the selected place for the party. So it should be no problem....unless it breaks. In that case we will choose a backup place to have party in ^^

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Rhee, Alien has agreed to leave you her last time slot ^^

I'm going to add you to the table

Rhee

Sounds great, Leo!  I've been working up my set list :D

Next question:  I was originally intending to use standard in-game voice chat to broadcast my concert, but a few people have mentioned that this might not be the IDEAL method.  I am open to other possibilities, (like teamspeak or whatever), but what is going to be the most logical way of doing this?  I dont' know what is entailed in using something like teamspeak, and don't have a problem downloading and using it myself, but does it also mean that anyone that wants to listen will also have to download/install/etc teamspeak?  I just want it to be a simple thing, for everyone else, and also for myself (hah!  I am NOT a technowiz), so if there are any suggestions, I would be open to them! 

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I think all of our D'niJs use Shoutcast servers, Basically they stream music or live sound from their computer to a server (this can be done with many mediaplayers, like winAMP) and then people connect to the server using their normal mediaplayers (like Windows Media Player, VLC, winAMP, iTunes) and listen to the stream.

I have no knowledge about how to set it up, but Alien suggested this website: http://listen2myradio.com/

You can sign up for a free account there, and probably there will also be some instructions around, or you can PM Alien on how to use it (on the MOUL forums or on the Guild of Sleepers Forum)

Rhee

Thanks Leo!  I'll check it out... I didn't realize that it would work for live input!  I will see what i can sort out haha

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I think it works from live input, since we usually hear Lord Chaos's voice during his parties, and he uses a Shoucast server.

Probably it will let you select which input stream to use.

Rhee

8|

Okay.  I have tried to figure listen2myradio out.. but it is not exactly technodummy-friendly.  So... I'll keep trying, but i can't make any promises that I'll get it to work :P

EDIT: So, I've decided that rather than beating my head against the wall, I'm going to do this through teamspeak instead :D  I'll get you details soon.

Ace
Ace's picture

Shorah--  Ace from Amber Horizons here.  LC tipped me off about this event.  Do you still need people to cover music?  I have a three-hour dance set I can throw down in the slot after his (longer, maybe, if I start spinning on the fly.)  And I have my own Shoutcast stream.  My only drawback is I have no provision for doing live mike;  if you want Cavcon announcements, I'll have to prerecord them quickly and then throw them in the mix...

Just let me know.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Shorah Ace!

I was starting to worry we wouldn't be able to fill that space! Yes you are welcome to broadcast your music in the free slots after Lord Chaos.

The only thing I need is the URL of your stream, to compile a KIMail to distribute during the event.

You are not required to make CAVCON announcements, there will be KIMails that will be sent out :)

Ace
Ace's picture

Great!  The stream URL is http://www.amberhorizons47.serverroom.us:5528 It'll handle the standard 50 people.  Since everyone's doing their own stream, I'll run a pre-roll a few minutes ahead of time to make sure it's up for the transition, and then maybe just record a quick station ID or 2 to sub in at the hour marks. 

Let me know if you can't find anyone to do the three hours after that.  3-6 AM Friday morning UTC is 8-11 PM Thursday night US Pacific for me (if I've calculated correctly.)  I might be able to keep going for the missing bloc if I can pull together enough music (and if the Cavernites don't throw me out on my ear.)

Dichromus

My stream info. -  50 listener capacity, 128 Mb/sec :

http://76.10.221.59:9848

Cheers!

"What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!!" - MgSgt Hartman, Full Metal Jacket. 

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Thank you Dich!

I have sent 3 KiMails to all the D'niJs, plus Rhee, minus Ace (because I couldn't find Ace's KiNumber). They contain informations you can send out during the party!

does anyone want to volunteer some of their party time to help keep the party going smoothly, welcoming people and sending KiMails when I'm not online? The D'niJs won't be able to do that too while they are streaming. We need someone to help them.

Rhee

Okie dokie!  I will be "broadcasting", as it were, on Teamspeak on this server: guildofwriters.org

I don't know if something will need to be added to the KImails informing people that they'll have to have the Teamspeak client in order to listen?  If they don't already have it, of course :D.

Also, just something I thought I'd mention:  I live in North America and while I don't know LOTS of other members of the community, a few have mentioned their dissappointment in teh hourly layout of the party... not so much that they wanted it to be based on KI time, but that if the party is ending around 2.00 UTC saturday, that's just the middle of the evening for many of them (for instance, it would be 7 pm for those on the pacific timezone). 

Now, i certainly wouldn't suggest that the party needs to be rescheduled just to accomodate NA, because that would just be a little bit presumptuous, and the official schedule doesn't need extending either, but maybe if there are any North American D'niJ's that think they might still be haning around and are possibly interested in continuing the party on past the 26-hour mark, that sort of thing could be discussed? 26 hours of partying is great, but 30 is greater, right? Just a thought, and please don't feel obligated to make sweeping changes.. just thought I'd mention it :D

EDIT: Oops!! Leo posted while i was writing this novel of a post...I can cover the last bunch of slots, for reference person... and possibly others, but i'll wait until others have had a chance to volunteer before I say more :)

Ace
Ace's picture

Leonardo wrote:

I have sent 3 KiMails to all the D'niJs, plus Rhee, minus Ace (because I couldn't find Ace's KiNumber).

Whoops!   Had to look it up myself:    73807

I'll go put that in my profile...

Donahoo

Rhee wrote:

Also, just something I thought I'd mention:  I live in North America and while I don't know LOTS of other members of the community, a few have mentioned their dissappointment in teh hourly layout of the party... not so much that they wanted it to be based on KI time, but that if the party is ending around 2.00 UTC saturday, that's just the middle of the evening for many of them (for instance, it would be 7 pm for those on the pacific timezone). 

The party is starting at 7 PM on Thursday for the Pacific time zone with Lord Chaos. Those who are disappointed in the ending time should be happy enough with the starting time. As far as continuing the party, it would require someone on Pacific or at least KI time to do that.

Doobes
Doobes's picture
WebmasterCouncil memberMagazine teamCavern CrierUru2U TeamMessenger

Finally made it back around here.  I volunteer to take the last four hours as reference person (after Leo's shift) if they're not taken yet.

Rhee

Absolutely, the Thursday time is fine.  As I said, nothing needs to be changed!  The meaning I was trying to convey was that if there are also some North American D'niJ's that are thinking "Too bad that the party will be done so early on Friday night," that they are not the only ones that might want the party to keep going.  And so if any of them were interested, I doubt that anyone would protest some impromptu after-party continuation of the partying.  As in, the "official" end time doesn't have to be the "absolute" end time.  I was just wanting to throw it out there, is all, so that if there are 15 different people that want to be the after-party D'niJ's, that they could briefly discuss it here, so there isn't a bunch of confusion over who might want to do it later.   I'd do it myself if a) I knew how and b) had more than 48 songs on my computer.  And if there's no one, that's cool too, no big deal...  If there are folks that want to keep partying and there /isn't/ a D'niJ, they'll come up with something on their own :D

EDIT: I had volunteered for the last four slots, Doobes, but if you want them, you go ahead... i might be able to pick up a few in the middle instead... just tricky because its either very early morning or regular morning for me, during which I am going to be busy :P

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

OK thank you guys.

Rhee, I can't think of any better way to cover all the possible timezones than having a 24 hours party. The choice of the start and ending time had to be done with some sort of neutrality because no matter how you change there will always be someone disappointed with them. So I choose the standard universal time, UTC.

Having parties is not an exclusive of the Guild of Messengers or anyone else, so if someone wants to broadcast more music they are welcome to do it and they can talk with the Gray Hats if they want to use our same location.

Ace I'm sending you the KiMails with all the infos for the party.

I'm assigning Doobes to the last slot, since Rhee already got te other slot ^^