Home

Chat/Forum Rules Site Rules

121 replies [Last post]
Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

Sharing of copyrighted files is not piracy.  Unauthorized sharing of copyrighted files is piracy.

I chose the word "theft" because it seemed simple, and because media industries consider piracy of their products to be a form of theft.  But media companies also think that every act of piracy is automatically a lost sale, which is a lie, so I'll give up simplicity for accuracy, as long as it is truly accurate. 

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

So this is the latest version:

The GoMe will only accept content free of vulgar language.  Submissions must be family-friendly.

The GoMe will accept articles about independent Uru shards (servers), within the other limitations described here.

The GoMe will not publish articles promoting piracy (unauthorized sharing of copyrighted material) or cracking (malicious hacking).

The GoMe prefers to publish only articles related to Cyan's franchises and the community built around them.  Articles that are unrelated are likely to be rejected; articles that promote commercial ventures that are unrelated WILL be rejected.

The Gome will not publish personal announcements related to buying, selling, or trading items.(e.g. "Hi, I have an original copy or the first Myst episode and I want to sell it. the price is xxx$. First come, first served.")

The GoMe will reject articles that are spam, trolling, harassment or unnecessary replication of other articles.

We happily accept feedback on articles published on our site.   If you see content on our site that seems in contradiction to the above rules, we would like to know.

The GoMe reserves the right to revise the rules at any time. If revision affects content sitting in the submission queue, the GoMe will attempt to contact the submitter to notify him or her of the rules change, and the GoMe will either accept or reject the submission as it applies under the new rules.

For the rules about forum posts and chat behaviour please refer to this document.

Theremin
Theremin's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger

I'd say let's list it as "Piracy, theft, cracking, or malicious hacking." If we start defining these terms, people will attempt to argue their way around them. (I'm not aying some won't try anyway...)

I'd still recommend we shorten the below as I suggested as well. (We'll still attempt to contact the person, let's just not publish that we will.)

Theremin escribió:

The GoMe reserves the right to revise the above rules.  If revision affects content sitting in the submission queue, the GoMe will attempt to contact the submitter to notify him or her of the rules change, and the GoMe will either accept or reject the submission as it applies under the new rules. 

On this one I would also go with just the first sentence slightly revised-"The GoMe reserves the right to revise the rules at any time." 

Marten
Marten's picture

Theremin, in response to your earlier editing, I said, "I can live with those changes."

Now I am going to ask of you the same:  Can you accept the rules as they were last stated by Leo, or do you feel very strongly that we need to continue editing and refining the rules?

You admit some people may try to argue their way around the definitions anyway.  I think that our definitions are solid and defensible.  There are multiple meanings of the word piracy; we are not talking about hijacking ships on the ocean; we're using definition #2 as listed at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piracy .  Cracking is what the media usually calls hacking; we're doing the community and all good hackers a service by using the correct term and making its context clear.

I like having a clear instruction on how we will handle submissions in the queue that are affected by a rules change.  If you really want it removed from the rules, is there another place where this statement (and perhaps other polices of how we want to behave, so that we interact with the community in a consistent and fair manner) can be recorded?

Theremin
Theremin's picture

My apologies, Marten. The second portion of my last post was more directed at Leo, it actually looked as though he may have just missed my previous suggestion, but to answer your question- yes, I can live with the rules as posted by Leo.

I understood what you meant when you referred to piracy and all, but it seemed others were unclear on this.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Yes Theremin XD I interpreted your sentence in the wrong way and I didn't delete the second part.

But Marten's objection is right, that document is not only for others, it is for us too, to know how to behave in certain situations. The same thing was done in the Forum Rules, describing how a moderator should behave when he deletes or changes a Forum post

Theremin
Theremin's picture

Leonardo escribió:

But Marten's objection is right, that document is not only for others, it is for us too, to know how to behave in certain situations. The same thing was done in the Forum Rules, describing how a moderator should behave when he deletes or changes a Forum post

Then I will concede the point. I have no further objections to the rules as you have posted them.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

so, it's been a couple of days without any other change or discussion so I'm going to publish the new rules on the official page

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

Wow, I'm sure glad you all worked this out. Nice to see everyone survived it too. L O L ... I remember other days where ... woohoo!

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

LOL!!!! yes we all survived to the Rules Earthquake XD

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

Ok, I've read through this thread and am up speed now with the rules change - but one question - what happened to the article that was submitted, presumably about the DI shard?, that started this conversation?  Just curious...

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Pavitra

The event in question has come and gone, so the article would be of only historical interest at this point.

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

Ok, then, next question: It seems we have agreed that we are willing to publish news about the GoW's DI shard, which certainly seems newsworthy to me.  Using this subject as an example, would it be our preferred policy to: (1) wait for them to submit an article, or (2) approach them requesting permission to publish their news, OR (3) go for it without their permission and generate a news article on our own? 

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Marten
Marten's picture

Julee D escribió:

Ok, then, next question: It seems we have agreed that we are willing to publish news about the GoW's DI shard, which certainly seems newsworthy to me.  Using this subject as an example, would it be our preferred policy to: (1) wait for them to submit an article, or (2) approach them requesting permission to publish their news, OR (3) go for it without their permission and generate a news article on our own? 

There are two posts in 'lessons learned' that I think are applicable here.  Lesson 5 and Lesson 5 Addendum

To summarize those posts (they are lengthy), and open this for further discussion, here are my thoughts.

• We do not need to ask permission to report News.  The Guild of Writers has announced the Deep Island Shard is news.
  • We should look for permission before reporting events, and encourage event organizers to bring their event news to us.  Event organizers may want to limit their audience and that is their right.  There is a meeting on the Deep Island Shard is an event.
  • Attribute the source of information.
  • Don't plagarize or restate an entire story; provide enough detail to pique interest, and direct people to the original source for more.  (A certain set of information is always necessary for events.)
Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

I'm still reading furiously through the GoW forums to catch up on all this (RL sucked me away for most of the summer, unfortunately) and I do expect to start submitting news articles GoW-related very shortly.  But already I'm not sure "The Guild of Writers has announced the Deep Island Shard" is accurate.  I'd lean more toward "MEMBERS of the Guild of the Writers have announced..."   or even get more specific than that.  Frankly, I'm not sure the GoW is unified enough to attribute much of anything to the entire Guild.  :-)

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Marten
Marten's picture

True.  Please pardon the inaccuracy of my brevity.   ;)

kaeebonrai
kaeebonrai's picture

Well >.>

The Deep Island Shard is as close to an official Guild of Writers shard as there will ever be. >.> (seeing as it has its own forum in the news section, and it uses the GoW forum logins to log into the shard).

There are those among us that would consider it the GoW shard without question. I guess the point is, if anything is going to be considered "The GoW Shard" DI is it. >.>

Hoikas, the closest thing the GoW has to a leader, had to help set up the forum login to shard bridge, etc. So.. Yeah. >.>

So make your own decisions based on that... there's a bit of tiptoeing around, atm, though. =P

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

Thank you Kaelis!  Insider insight is always helpful.  And yes, I think I've seen some of the tiptoed footprints...  :-)

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

OK, article posted and ready for review.  I'm interested in any and all comments, thanks.

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Did a couple of formatting corrections.

The only thing I'm not sure about is calling the Offline-KI a tool of the Drizzle collection. It is just distributed with the UAM but it doesn't have any other link with Drizzle.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

No other comments, so I just rephrased the offlineKi sentence to better define it ;)

It can be published

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

Thank you very much, Leo!  I have spent the last week delving deeply into as much history as I could get my hands on and the Offline Ki has become so intertwined with Drizzle over the years that I didn't realize they had different starting points.  But after your comment I went back into stuff and saw that indeed, it looks like the Offline Ki can trace its origins all the way back to the initial Anonymous hack.  :-)

[Edited to add]  Are you sure this is correct? - "Off-line KI is one of the tools developed to bring UU and MOUL changes to Uru:CC installations."  It makes it sound like this was the original reason for Off-line Ki.  My impression (and I could totally be wrong) is that it was originally designed to support flymode and other fancy Ki moves, and the ability to bring UU and MOUL into the game, as well as the fan-ages, came later.  Let me take one more pass through history to see if I can verify this one way or the other.   I like how you rephrased the linkage between offline ki and drizzle.  Nice!   (Made a couple of additional grammar and spelling tweaks too - please check me.)    Thanks

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

That's the current definition of the Offline KI according to it's Wiki page

I'm not sure of its history, I haven't followed it, but yes all the things related to adding Ages converted with Drizzle are obviously more recent than the flymode and other commands.

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

I've changed that line based upon what I've learned.  Cobbs development...Christmas Ki...User Ki...Offline Ki.  Still OK to publish?

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

Marten
Marten's picture

I would like to suggest we try not to dig too much into the history of the OfflineKI, because there is no way to be both accurate and brief about it.  (I also laugh that people are using it with Alcugs (online), and still calling it the "OfflineKI".)

The current draft says, "Off-line KI was originally a by-product of that same reverse engineering effort, designed to bring on-line Ki functionality to Uru:CC installations. "

I think we can avoid controversy over our accuracy if we phrase it this way:

"Offline KI is a descendant of that same reverse engineering effort, bringing on-line Ki functionality to Uru:CC installations. "

First, No dash in the name.  Second, the change in the first part of the sentence (byproduct vs descendent) helps to indicate that there were previous efforts (you know them as flymodeKI, christmasKI, etc.) without going into detail - Diafero picked up pieces from multiple sources, rewrote some of the pieces, and put it all together, and has maintained the result as a whole product.  I feel that "byproduct" implies that Offline KI has been around as long as Alcugs has.  Third, by eliminating the "designed to" in the second half of the sentence, we step away from trying to say what the tool was originally meant to do (trust me, it's convoluted), and instead say what it does now.

So much nitpicking over one line in the article, right? :)  But everything else in your story looks great to me, so this is the only contribution I can make.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Marten's edit sounds good to me too.

Next time post it in a separate thread in the Private Discussions, there is no point in discussing an unpublished article in the public section for the forum ;)

When I have time I'll split this thread

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

Yes, I was thinking that too Leo!  lol    Thanks Marten - that's a great change.  Ok then!

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025

kaeebonrai
kaeebonrai's picture

Actually, diafero himself (the developer behind the offline ki) calls it the offline ki online. It was, infact, originally developed with the purpose of using in alcugs shards. It was just called the "offline ki" to avoid drama. >.>

Alcugs also stands not for "alternative live compatible uru server" but rather "A Live Compatible Uru Server" (infact, alcugs was released the same day as UU (and was started roughly when prologue went down), if i know the history well enough ;) )

Marten
Marten's picture

kaelisebonrai escribió:

Actually, diafero himself (the developer behind the offline ki) calls it the offline ki online. It was, infact, originally developed with the purpose of using in alcugs shards. It was just called the "offline ki" to avoid drama. >.>

I wasn't going to be the one to mention this, because I didn't know if diafero wanted people to know that. :)

Julee D
Julee D's picture
Messenger

Kaelis, the acronym definition for Alcugs came from the Alcugs project page itself, where it says "Alternative Live Compatible Uru Game Server".  I know everyone says "A" but I figured I'd use what was apparently the official definition.  http://alcugs.almlys.org/Alcugs

Ki # 153719
GoMe Avatar KI #3836025