Home

Content Licencing Proposal

8 replies [Last post]
Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

Recently on the OU forums the people involved in OpenSource have discussed a lot about a Licence for distributing Cyan's content legally out of the MOULa server.

So now they have almost reached a written introduction to send to Cyan and they are thinking of getting some support from other people for it.

The question for you, Messengers, is simple: Do we want to support the proposal as a Guild?

Click Here for reading the forum discussion

Click Here for reading the proposal

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger

Umm...Perhaps I'm about to ask something which might seem like a dumb question: It there any good reason to *NOT* to support the proposal?

That being said, should this actually come up for a vote, I'll be abstaining. I don't wish to stand in the way of needed progress, but I don't even understand half of what the proposal said. (My father is the executive systems analyst, not me.) I'm firm believer if I ever need a website built, or something like that, I 'll just hire someone who knows how to do those things for me. I'm not going to "clutter up" my mind with technology someone much more skilled than I can do for me.

Anys, I went off topic...(so hungry...must have dinner soon)...To return to my premise, is there any reason why the guild should/should not support the license? Some pro/con bullet points would be nice. As for it coming down to my vote, well...Let's be honest, shall we?

If the guild ever needs the technophobe to be the tie-breaker on this one, I sure one of you can "break it down" in painful detail.

(/shrug) Just my thoughts....I'll be at my desk if anyone needs me.   

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Well,

Pro is that we would show Cyan support from the "News side" of the community. Our attention as a Guild has always been pointed to international players too, with our translations.

The only con that I could find is that maybe we don't want to "take sides" as usual, stay neutral and just watch what happens. But there isn't really "another side" different than the one of OU/H'Uru this time.

It's just that we need the input of the Guild Members to really say The Guild is supporting this.

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

I think we all as individuals want this.  

Though if you say the Guild is supporting it, you're sort of speaking automatically for everyone in the Guild.  Now, there are many times at which I think it is appropriate for the guildmasters/mistresses to speak on behalf of the Guild.   I've never bought into the claims from you-know-which-guild that no-one could speak without holding an internal forum discussion. ;)

But since you asked - since you felt this might need a forum discussion - I think in a way you've already concluded, this may not be one of those appropriate times.

How about just reporting the proposal as the news, and include directions on how people can voice their support (how to register at OU if you haven't, where to find the proposal, and how to add your signature)?   That way, you do avoid the "taking sides" issue or the "talking for other people" issue, and you're still in a sense supporting the proposal... until someone comes along and puts up a signature list to oppose, then that's more news and you can report on that too. ;)

AgeExplorer
AgeExplorer's picture
Cavern CrierMessenger

I agree with most of what is said in the proposal. I think it is very important that URU branches out for support of international players.  However it looks like most of the signatures are from people who have a more technical understanding of what they are trying to do. I'm not quite sure if they are looking for signatures from general explorers. I mean I understand the goal of what they are doing but I don't understand the technical processes involved. I will wait until I get more information about this during the AGM before I sign the proposal.

I think it is up to individual members of this Guild to show whether they want to support the proposal or not. I think this issue is not something that we need to have full support from the Guild. Although I'm sure most people would approve of making URU more accessible.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I would not make a news about it, because OpenUru doesn't seem to want to advertise the thing. They don't want a lot if signatures, they want a small group of meaningful signs.

Yeah, probably this is not something for a Guild, it is just for individuals.

AgeExplorer
AgeExplorer's picture
Cavern CrierMessenger

OpenURU has a habit of keeping some things in the dark when it comes to development. We'll just have to wait until the AGM and hope they discuss more of what they are doing with everyone.

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

I asked JW for clarification because "wanting signatures" but "not wanting news" seemed like a conflict to me.

JW said (paraphrased a bit because it scrolled away fast), "I want people to find out organically about the signatures rather than to start a petition drive."

I think that offers real clarity in his goals and I believe reinforces my personal feeling that endorsement should not be made on behalf of groups and guilds.

He's going to mention the content licensing proposal at the AGM but will not mention the signatures - just that interested parties should check out the proposal.

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger

Hmm...Very interesting approach from a social science perspective.

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |