Home

Future of the GoMe

62 replies [Last post]
Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

Now that we have a better idea about whcih direction Cyan is going with MystOnline, I would like to know everyones thought on what that means for us as a guild. What opportunities do you see opening up for us in the future? What potential needs will there be that we can fill? What do you see happening with the community and how do we fit into this? Any and all ideas welcome. Thank you.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger

Well it is 12:30 in the morning and I have just found out. Where do I start. With this:

Quote:
This is also a bit scary for the fans. We realize that this could turn UruLive into the "wild west" and lead to many fractured and diverse MystOnline servers. But it is our hope that with the help of dedicated core fans (if you are reading this, it probably means you) that a safe and secure MystOnline server set (many servers from around the world working together as one) can be created that will let people explore and live in UruLive.

Off the bat I would say we need to work a lot more with the Guilds and community for this to work. It is going to take a lot of work to get most on the same page. I am excited as the prospects. But at the same time a little sad.

I really can't think right now you know I am shaking. I will give more input tomorrow when I have had time to digest it all.

Lynnutte

I understand the shaking as I have been shaking too since I found out. lol

Um.... I just have to say this... I told you we needed to work on the guild mission statement. :lol:

Szark
Szark's picture
Lynnutte wrote:
Um.... I just have to say this... I told you we needed to work on the guild mission statement. :lol:

Go on get in there. Well I did put it in my last update some did try. But now people might start to be interested again in the GoMe. Got to get a webmaster.

Lynnutte

Yes! Webmaster is a high priority now.

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

My heart races.....The scale of the picture created, by Cyan's MystOnline announcement, completely boggles my mind. And I am a big picture sort of fellow.
The scope of, the control of, the cost of, the use of Mystonline in the hands of the community, must be defined, understood and followed by all who go there. It is for us to stay connected, as a guild, and as explorers, representing and trying to preserve the very best that ever came out of Cyan's Myst/UruLive series. To use this as a standard while moving forward into Mystonline.
We need to remain transparent in how we keep the community informed of what's happening. Not biased but neutral. Not hesitant but forthcoming. Factual in the messages we send, accountable to what we do/see that is right, accountable to what we do/see that is wrong.
From the GoMe, everyone who has an interest in what's happening with MystOnline, has the right to know and we have a mission to report it to them as we learn the truth of it.
This may include separating explorer forum fiction from Mystonline reality and truth. News Detectives we may become.
Friendly detectives is my hope. But now I am rambling... and my heart has slowed.
So...instead of 'The end has not yet been written'' maybe it's ' The end has led us to begin again'.
Al

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Szark
Szark's picture

This announcement from Chogon might help a bit.

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

There's a reminder of our open webmaster position in our upcoming newsletter.

And thanks for the pointer to Chogon's message in the middle of that discussion, Szark!

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

Right you are Szark, and within that quote is

Chogon wrote:
....with organization by guilds and other fan groups, and good information, UruLive can still be great place to live.

So.. The Guilds need to have a GUILD MASTER meeting to start the 'Let's be sure to start this so that it doesn't turn into a 'free for all'. discussion.
AlKaera

Szark
Szark's picture

Thx Marten. I didn't get to bed until 3am this morning. I can feel the preasure building already. Why couldn't have they waited until after christmas. Only joking.

Persoanly I would wait until we have all the facts then we can talk about getting our heads together. But it is a good idea and something that we will need to do often.

Nanouk_Metal

Can you imagine us trying to find a "liaison's person" for each age (for the latest news) :?:

Me trying to imagine the size of a bookcase that will have to be added "somewhere" or about how many new ones will have to be added over time to access different ages, :!:

Phil's Relto might look very small, soon. :P :lol:

And about me who hates scrolling a lot. :roll: :shock: :?

I really do hope they come up with a more userfriendly KI with lists that do not move all the time. At minimum, with arrows "freeze" option. :roll:

Szark
Szark's picture

Here are some of my thoughts. (As you know I was up late then up early so rambling my occur)

First of we need to get our house in order. Webmaster has been mentioned already. The new RSS feed would make my work hell of a lot easier if I could use it. How are you getting on with the Forum Skin Marten anything doing on that? :) The Mission statement has also been mentioned with a told you so from Lynnutte. ;) We need to look hard at server hosting?

Next are other online places. Personally I have nothing against them and yes we kept the community informed best we could. But I think once MORE is online we should focus just on MORE. If someone else wants to keep one doing the bulletins for SL and There then please take over. I won’t be doing anymore. I am going to devote my attention to Myst only. I foresee there will be enough to do with MORE let alone keeping track of the others.

Once online: We need to start to recruit. I don’t think we will get much help until then. I hope I am wrong. I have concerns that we may not get the things we want like in-cavern clickable newspaper and a shelf for back issues or the RSS feed direct in-cavern and my DESK. Why because we are at the mercy of others that can do this. Just like the webmaster problem. There are more but you get the idea. We need roving reporters interviewing explorers’ in-cavern. But I would not like to see it turn in to some paparazzi type of affair. Open and warm interviewing techniques required. Well that is me out then. :) Messengers should get in to the habit of logging all chat. You never know when a usable quote or a juicy piece of info might come your way. Remember the world need lerts so be Alert.

Communication: Among us (GoMe) and with all of the community is paramount now. The inter-guild liaisons must up their game, as will I. Everyone will be looking at us to keep the information flowing and getting to them. I would presume that the GoG would continue with in-game info. I would prefer all meetings to be held in-cavern if possible. Plus we need a concretive effort to have a good GoMe presence at the “All Guilds Meetings”.

Well that all I can think of at present.

Szark

Nanouk_Metal

yeah to what Szark says.

Good summary.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

Yeah, agree with Szark.
Communication between groups must be high priority, otherwise I could see the community going in 1000 different directions and accomplish nothing.

And, how do we can it now? still MORE? someone said MOOSE (MystOnline Open Source Experience) or Cosmic OSMOUL :lol:

/very happy dance :D

Szark
Szark's picture
Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I don't really like that idea, see myopinions here:

http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... &f=3#p9836

Szark
Szark's picture

Wise words there Leo. I have no vioce either way on this but you put across a valid point. You know me if we are mention I usually post. Oh yeah that reminds me

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 089#278089

Szark
Szark's picture

plus this

andylegate wrote:
The GoMe is trying to set up a meeting for all the Guilds (Trylon started a thread here, but it's up there in admin and you can't reply to it) to find out how each guild can help, both in indipendent shards and a larger MOOSE (Myst Online Open SourcE ......thanks Boblishman! I thought this was the best name! hehehehe).

on the GoW

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

Thanks for trying to anchor good thoughts on this historical event Szark. The GoW discussion thread is very good also as it sends out a message from them to the rest of the community that they are looking for agreement/help that there needs to be structure in our movement to the new MystOnline. I luv the M.O.O.S.E acronym already. :lol: :lol:

Guild leaders.. ahemm, Grand Master, get together and work on the structure AND solicit financial support from their own guild members to help offset all this setup/startup effort.
Voluntary only, but specifically requested nonetheless.

And my answer is YESSSS ! ! ! Where do I send the cash? Oh :shock: Can I send it AFTER Christmas ? :lol:
AlKaera

Szark
Szark's picture
AlKaera wrote:
And my answer is YESSSS ! ! ! Where do I send the cash? Oh :shock: Can I send it AFTER Christmas ? :lol:
AlKaera

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Veralun
Veralun's picture

Bad just opened a thread on the MOUL forums to get more public discussion:
Discussion on setting up an Inter-Guild server bank

.......................CCN.........................

Lynnutte

Sorry I don't hasve time to read all this thread before I post, but I have asked for an all guilds meeting. Please look here.

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 254#278254

Szark
Szark's picture

Don't worry Lynnutte these links can wait. All guilds meeting is a good start.

Lynnutte

Thanks Szark. I was leaving to go see the nutcracker with my family as I posted. Now that I've had time to read what everyone has posted, I have some thoughts.

Szark said

Quote:
Next are other online places. Personally I have nothing against them and yes we kept the community informed best we could. But I think once MORE is online we should focus just on MORE. If someone else wants to keep one doing the bulletins for SL and There then please take over. I won’t be doing anymore

I agree 100% with this. We will most likely be too busy with URU to cover anything else, and it's what we were originally created for.

Quote:
We need to start to recruit.

I think some have already started this on other forums. Yey for taking the initiative!

Quote:
We need roving reporters interviewing explorers’ in-cavern. But I would not like to see it turn in to some paparazzi type of affair. Open and warm interviewing techniques required.

If we do this, I agree with not becoming stalking paparazzi, but I don't think we will need this for a month or two after the get back in the cavern. I suggest we keep this idea on the back burner until we get our bearings again and everything settles down.

Quote:
The inter-guild liaisons must up their game, as will I. Everyone will be looking at us to keep the information flowing and getting to them. I would presume that the GoG would continue with in-game info. I would prefer all meetings to be held in-cavern if possible. Plus we need a concretive effort to have a good GoMe presence at the “All Guilds Meetings”.

Uping the game, check. Meetings in-cavern, check. GoMe presence ... I will be there and hope to see as many of you as possible there as well.

Leonardo said

Quote:
Communication between groups must be high priority, otherwise I could see the community going in 1000 different directions and accomplish nothing.

Excatly what I was thinking which is why I called for an all guilds meeting as quickly as I did. I am sorry I didn't use the liasons on this, but I thought it would be faster if I did it myself instead of waiting for others to wake up and check their computers, what with the time difference and all. I promise when things are finalized, I will use the liasons to distribute the news.

Quote:
Uhm, I think we should try to create a Main Shard first, with the entire community and Cyan. The first thing we need to avoid is the various parts of the community thinking independently and going in too many directions. The first thing which needs to be improved, to me, is communication between all of the people who's trying to shape the future of UruLive.

This is why I specifically stated in the "Calling for an all guilds meeting" thread, that everyone is welcome to attend. We need ever person who has strong thoughts, and is willing to work on this instead of just talking, to be there if necessary. I do understand the need the GoW has for a "shard" to test their ages before they are released. But our first priority as a community should be to get a stable place up and running for everyone to enjoy.

I think that's everything for now.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
Lynnutte wrote:
Excatly what I was thinking which is why I called for an all guilds meeting as quickly as I did. I am sorry I didn't use the liasons on this, but I thought it would be faster if I did it myself instead of waiting for others to wake up and check their computers, what with the time difference and all. I promise when things are finalized, I will use the liasons to distribute the news.

Don't worry, Liaisons are good when there's no hurry; this time we need to set up things a bit faster so you did the right thing :D

Szark
Szark's picture

Regarding Questions for Cyan. Lynnutte do you want something on all forums pointing to that thread on MOUL.

Lynnutte

Yes please!

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

I've posted a pointer to the MOUL questions thread at the Great Tree forum. Szark, feel free to borrow my writing if it helps.

http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1678

Szark
Szark's picture

Oh Thank you Marten, I will. :) I have just got back from being a taxi service. So I will get on to that in the morning Lynnutte.

Szark
Szark's picture

From the GoMa forum, thread titled Cyan Gives Myst Online To Fans.....

Dot wrote:
Marten wrote:
As for my previous comment that the guilds have more to work on than just a shard... since Dot asked that I expound upon that... I meant (mostly) that we all have our own usual activities. Most of the guilds have continued operating in some fashion since MOUL's closure... and I think we'll all have new opportunities to apply our skill sets. Writers may delve into the client and server software. Maintainers may help to find bugs not only in Ages, but also in the game program itself. Messengers will be busy keeping abreast of all the news and discoveries that I expect will develop.

Thanks, Marten. I was thinking yesterday evening how essential the role of the messengers is going to be over this next period. There's a great deal going on, and not all of us think of letting other parts of the community know about events or decisions they may have an interest in -- I know I've been guilty of that in the past.

I think your first paragraph is realistic. Hopefully, we'll get further clarification from Cyan soon about these matters.

This caught my interest. Yes one problem of the past is communication between guilds. This is why we introduced Inter-guild rep (liaisons) and the submit news section. But one thing that we lacked was the real communication with the other groups, guild and societies. Structure is most important but we need a good way of keeping the information flowing through us without the need to rely on just a few people. The submit news section is a start. Ok it doesn't have to go through us but it would be nice to be used for what we are here for. We do need a way to raise the profile of our services. How we look for news and things to write about. Yes some news will come straight to us but we have always had to rely on what we went and looked for. Very time consuming for a small crew. How do we attract people to give us information?

We need to think very hard as individuals to see if you have the time and inclination to be reliable. -As reliable as one can get with this sort of thing. I know I have more time than most. That is not what I am on about. We have to look at the big picture now. We have each other, the guild’s welfare and the rest of the community to think about. They must be able to depend on us. Yes mistakes will always happen but we can keep them to a minimum. We need to use what we have worked so hard to create. Refine it and make it better. We need to be ready to change or implement things for streamlineness (is that a word?). I am not good at thinking of good ways to organise things. I am however reasonable in organising things that are already there. - But with forums and the like, no chance.

Lynnutte wrote:
We need every person who has strong thoughts, and is willing to work on this instead of just talking, to be there if necessary. I do understand the need the GoW has for a "shard" to test their ages before they are released. But our first priority as a community should be to get a stable place up and running for everyone to enjoy.
Nanouk_Metal wrote:
Can you imagine us trying to find a "liaison's person" for each age (for the latest news) :?:
Leonardo wrote:
Don't worry, Liaisons are good when there's no hurry; this time we need to set up things a bit faster so you did the right thing.

Ouch but true.

Already I have seen questions about “are we ready” are we? I don’t know about you but I am sh***** myself at the responsibility. At least when Cyan was running things we had some guidelines to follow.

The hard part is that we know so little about how things will be done and run. For now we really should be looking at how we can make things a bit smoother now. Like dissemination of the announcements. To save hassle I have done the GoG and some of the GoMa and one GoW posting.
Looks like my manual posting is going to see some action maybe we should look how we can make that easier for the liaisons to pick it up. And maybe it is time to put this as a permanent service.
Well I have been working on this too long. I can’t think anymore. Please add to the list.

What have we decided?

• No more bulletins on SL or There[/*:m]
  • We we need to some serious thinking and talking before we go online. :)[/*:m]
  • Then we need to do some more serious thinking and talking when we go online. :)[/*:m]

What to do before we go online?

• All Guild Meeting[/*:m]
  • Host chat for JWPlatt for a better understanding of OpenUru.org[/*:m]
  • We could advertise that we are willing to help host/moderate press conferences for the guilds and other groups.[/*:m]
  • Look at better ways to submit news for the RSS and manual posting.[/*:m]
  • Recruit more people to watch out for news articles to write about, even articles about explorers themselves.[/*:m]
  • Update Messengers Census:[/*:m]
  • Decide as a Guild if we want to take part in the All Guild Shard. Personally seeing what has been said I like it now. I think this is the only way to keep things more or less the same. And hopefully maybe better. Oh the ideas![/*:m]
  • Webmaster (duck) [/*:m]
  • Ask people if they still want their positions. So we know where we stand. Mee, I am staying put.[/*:m]
  • Revaluate the needs that the newsletter fills; it should fulfil needs not covered (and that could not be covered) by other publications.
    [/*:m]

When online:

• Carry on plans for crossover with the GoA. Hello Alahmnat and Marten[/*:m]
  • Create a GoMe Hood.
    [/*:m]
  • Resurrect the Relayers and Criers. Relayers would be good for the GoA also. [/*:m]
  • Create better KI flyers for the Criers. I might be able to help with that with Photoshop.[/*:m]
  • Lynnutte: Create journals in cavern? [/*:m]
  • Marten: Push for another Guild/Group to spearhead grassroots advertising, maybe Guild of Ideas [/*:m]
  • Narym: Talk to Cyan/GoW/GoMa about tools that would assist us in cavern [/*:m]
  • Narym: Investigate In-Cavern RSS feed. Plus a clickable newspaper and storage for back issues (somewhere public and easily accessible, not the Pub).[/*:m]
  • Nanouk: A News Age? [/*:m]
  • Alkaera: Special KI requests to Cyan[/*:m]
  • Revaluate the needs that the newsletter fills; it should fulfil needs not covered (and that could not be covered) by other publications[/*:m]
  • We could advertise that we are willing to help host/moderate press conferences for the guilds and other groups In-cavern with the help from the Greeters.[/*:m]

[/]

[/]

[/]

Lynnutte

I just had an idea, and I don't know how feasible it is, but... Is it possible to create a newspaper to be "delivered" to peoples reltos? Those that sign up for it. Would that be a question for the GoW?

Szark wrote:

Quote:
What have we decided?

No more bulletins on SL or There
We we need to some serious thinking and talking before we go online.
Then we need to do some more serious thinking and talking when we go online.

1. We need to vote on it, but I think this is a good idea.
2. That is why I created this thread for our guild.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=426

This one might be a good start for the game and community discussion in general.

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16672

3. Ahmen!

Szark wrote:

Quote:
What to do before we go online?

All Guild Meeting check.
Host chat for JWPlatt for a better understanding of OpenUru.org Good idea.
We could advertise that we are willing to help host/moderate press conferences for the guilds and other groups. Another good idea.
Look at better ways to submit news for the RSS and manual posting. I am open to suggestions. I agree we need to find something better.
Recruit more people to watch out for news articles to write about, even articles about explorers themselves. Ahmen! The more the merrier.
Update Messengers Census: I never even saw that page till now. :lol:
Decide as a Guild if we want to take part in the All Guild Shard. Personally seeing what has been said I like it now. I think this is the only way to keep things more or less the same. And hopefully maybe better. Oh the ideas! We need to vote on this after the guilds have had more time to discuss this and figure things out.
Webmaster (duck) Ahmen!
Ask people if they still want their positions. So we know where we stand. Mee, I am staying put. I don't plan on going anywhere!
Revaluate the needs that the newsletter fills; it should fulfil needs not covered (and that could not be covered) by other publications. http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=426

Szark wrote

Quote:
When online:

I will think about this when we are closer to it becoming a reality. :D