Home

GoMe Census / Job list / To-do list

145 replies [Last post]
Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

You can view the census here:

http://bit.ly/crYkDi 

- Here is the work in progress of the census of the GoMe, its current and future projects and a coordination on what everyone is working on.
- This first post and the list will regulary updated.
- I PMed every GoMe member in order to collect more needed data regarding their current position in the GoMe along with the projects/tasks they are working on.
- Please, feel free to reply in this thread regarding missing information along with possible corrections.

Kalypso: #85553

Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Quote:
A For news submissions, we need someone to have responsibility for checking once daily and updating the feed.
B One person must hold the responsibility to ensure feed isn't neglected for days at a time.
C Feed submission guideline: Cyan stories need to be run past Cyan unless otherwise verifiable.

I don't mind doing A and B and C well; I am suppose to be the MOUL liaison, which in my mind is Cyan. I just wish I could be introduced officially so that my duties and point of contact is known. I am aware that Chogon knows of me as he said hello to me personally at the press conference. I feel if I was to keep this duty on then this must be done but also guidance is the Key for quick learning, you all must realise know the speed at which I learn.

My duties as I see them. MOUL liaison/Weekly Update Coordinator/Reporter/Photographer/Chief Manual News poster and all round helpful nice guy. :D Wow I think that's enough.

E-mail address, I do have a Hotmail account but I would prefer a Guildofmessenger.com e-mail account, I now see the value of it. Sorry Shimmer for being so slow with this one.

Lastly yes Liaisons Chair: There are a number of reasons why I don't want this job, firstly I am not sure of the Liaison job still, but I am getting there and secondly I don't want to have to be spending my time chasing people. This maybe a bit arrogant but I am pretty reliable, it is not often that people need to chase me up for something that is not done so I don't see why I should have to do this to others. I do and can tolerate others and I am fairly amenable but I can't stand people committing to a project and then not following it through. I cannot deal with more uncertainties than there is with this type of thing.

Well that's enough of that, any questions?
Szark

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Szark, perfect. You are now responsible to make sure the RSS feed is updated. You are also welcomed to correct people typos in it or if the link at the bottom is not working. Blade is also involved in the feed but I think it has to do with its code so your responsabilities should be separate. Do you already have all the tools available to do this job?

Regarding being Cyan's liaison, it was my understanding that the Guildmaster was Cyan liaison while you are the MOUL forum's liaison. I may be wrong on that one so Marten should be able to answer you.

What do you do as a:
Chief Manual News poster?
Weekly Update Coordinator?

For the e-mail adress I think it will have to wait until the @gome.com adress situation has been all sorted out:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=220v

EDIT: in the last GoMe meeting, it was mentionned that you need help... was it with the forums? If so in what way?

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
Szark, perfect. You are now responsible to make sure the RSS feed is updated. You are also welcomed to correct people typos in it or if the link at the bottom is not working. Blake is also involved in the feed but I think it has to do with its code so your responsabilities should be separate. Do you already have all the tools available to do this job?

Yes I am and yes BladeLakem is dealing with the RSS code a gizmos. Yes I do have the tools, but if I need any help I will ask, you can be sure of that.

Quote:
Regarding being Cyan's liaison, it was my understanding that the Guildmaster was Cyan liaison while you are the MOUL forum's liaison. I may be wrong on that one so Marten should be able to answer you.

Yes but if you read my text youo will see that I think that they are the same thing MOUL forums = Cyan. No IC or OCC just simple facts. I personally feel that Marten should be the liaison to Cyan at every level. But as I said I am happy to continue being MOUL liaison if things are handled correctly.

Chief Manual News poster?Ok A bit tongue and check there Kalypso. RSS feed only goes to one website, Myst Community and whoever subscribes. Last newsletter I thought that this needed to be extended, as up to that point it hadn't even been advertised on the RSS feed. So I wrote out a little blurb (you will find it on the news page) put it on the RSS and then proceded to collate as many active forums as possible in order for that same RSS feed info to be posted on the forums manually, heance that big list. That big list is not to be confused with watching for news items, the two things are separate.

Weekly Update Coordinator?Well you know that big PM you got off Marten with all those question marks done the right hand side. Look at the title and you will see Weekly update #4, as in the 4th week I have done this for. Thats what that is. It is designed to keep the chairs informed and make sure nothing is missed, purely website forum based.

Yes I concur about the e-mail address. but I still won't one.....................:D
Szark

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Ok so If I understand correctly, the 29 forums that you are "responsible" are only for posting when the new newsletter comes out? Let's say I'd give you a message to post on all the forums, could you?

About the MOUL liaison, I really can't you about this one. You should send a PM to Marten about that. I think it would be important.

Thanks for explaining to me what your roles meant. I prefer to use in the census the role you defined yourselves but as a coordinator I must know what it implies concretly. If someone ask me what X person do here, and I must explain it to them. ;)

In the last GoMe meeting, it was mentionned that you need help... was it with the forums? If so in what way?

Finally Szark, Are you currently working on any specific projects/Task outside of your genereal roles in the GoMe? Like mention the Archiver articles you are writting or have to write.

Tai'lahr
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

Re: the notes beside my name (and, thank you for including the apostrophe even though I couldn't get it in my user name here :D ).

-Write up something clear about the structure. ??? This goes back to my original question about whether we were both planning to do the same thing. But, by the looks of your chart, you are far ahead of anything I could produce. Still, I think it would be valuable to create something aimed at the average player (which could also be useful for the other guilds) so they understand what we do and who to contact for their specific needs. Is that the assignment?

-May relay info to Thend Yes, definitely. We are both in Second Life every day, communicate frequently, and I believe I'm a bit easier to contact than he is (unless you go into SL). ;) and, to answer the question beside his name, What is ECC? it's the Explorers Community Center or Chain. Every day, he sends the news out in the ECChain notecard to members of the Explorers Community Center group.

- 2 major announcements ???

-PM a few people at GoG about how GoMe and GoG can better coordinate together. Before I do this, I would just like to be sure I'm not stepping on any toes with this one. Are there any other Greeters involved with the GoMe at this time? When I posted a question about this to the GoG forum, I was told that Anthroanne was doing a GoG column for the Town Crier and was a member of the GoMe, and might be the best liaison between the two guilds. Is she still active and involved? Or, anyone else who might already be expecting to do this role?

Nanouk_Metal
Szark wrote:
re: Nanouk
................. and finally the e-mail bit should be over here you naughty person you. :P
:twisted: Szark :twisted:
Szark wrote:

Yes I concur about the e-mail address. but I still won't one.....................:D
Szark

Just caught you at your own game Szark. Wrong forum. :lol: :P :P :lol: :twisted:

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Tai'lahr, thank you for elaborating on the "tasks" next to your name. I pulled them up from the Weekly Update and/or Guild Meeting Summary Szark wrote. I didn't know what they meant/implied.

About the annoncements:
Tai'lahr to manage two independent announcements to larger groups, at specific times:
* * 1. Now, to encourage people to sign up to Thend's distribution
* * 2. Later, to announce when MORE is online

GoG: As far as I am concerned we do not have a GoG liaison so I would approve you approaching them. I've never heard of Anthroanne.

Census: The goals are to:
#1 Collect all the data needed
#2 Create to documents with nice presentations. One for all the important information about the Messengers for the GoMe (new messengers need to know who does what, especially) and then an other, much smaller for the Guilds/general public. All we have at this moment is this on the About page of the website:

http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/about.php

or the FAQ:

http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/about/guildfaq.php

This does not fill the need of the guilds and the community. I'd hope to have the smaller document include the people on the concil and projects manager.... the ones that need to be reached. The informations included would have the name, e-mail, and roles in the GoMe.
#3 Distribute the documents

When Step #1 will be done, I could use your help for #2. In the meantime, I'll find you things you could do in the guild. Just reply to the Pm I sent you ;)

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
Ok so If I understand correctly, the 29 forums that you are "responsible" are only for posting when the new newsletter comes out? Let's say I'd give you a message to post on all the forums, could you?

Post on all 29 listed, yes I can and I have.

Quote:
In the last GoMe meeting, it was mentionned that you need help... was it with the forums? If so in what way?

No so much help me per say but the Guild as a whole: Looking for news articles to write about, even articles about explerers themselves, for the Newsletter which is the Repoters Chair (Narym) and Newsletter Editors' domain. Narym found freelancers to be a good source of material.

Quote:
Finally Szark, Are you currently working on any specific projects/Task outside of your genereal roles in the GoMe? Like mention the Archiver articles you are writting or have to write.

Now this is something that I am not happy about. One: My writing is a fluid process, two: I am under an NDA (Non Disclouser Act) and three: It is up to me to make sure that I juggle my responsibilities as I see fit, in order not to let anyone down. If my duties at the Archiver get too much then I would have to step down to give the GoMe priority. I think this is all you need Kalypso on this subject.

Nanouk :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P you.........you..........why I oughta............. :D :lol:

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Thank you for the information.

Szark wrote:
Quote:
Now this is something that I am not happy about. One: My writing is a fluid process, two: I am under an NDA (Non Disclouser Act) and three: It is up to me to make sure that I juggle my responsibilities as I see fit, in order not to let anyone down. If my duties at the Archiver get too much then I would have to step down to give the GoMe priority. I think this is all you need Kalypso on this subject.

No need to feel not happy Szark. I was just asking because you were one of the people wanting to have such thing:

Szark wrote:
Quote:
Like an updated thread regarding what everybody is doing right now, what projects are being done(with dealines) along with upcoming projects and a list of potential ones?

Yeah Kalypso we have learnt to have something like that for the next issues. Communicting as to what has been done a what there is to do.

Szark wrote:
Seriously though, we do need a deadline and if the communication was there then this wouldn't have happened. Anyway as you say Marten, another lesson learnt. But to rush it just because of a deadline, well that is silly, yes.

Lynnutte. I hear you so please take care of yourself.

Szark

I'm kinda confused now.

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
No need to feel not happy Szark. I was just asking because you were one of the people wanting to have such thing:
Szark wrote:
Like an updated thread regarding what everybody is doing right now, what projects are being done(with deadlines) along with upcoming projects and a list of potential ones?Yeah Kalypso we have learnt to have something like that for the next issues. Communicating as to what has been done a what there is to do.

Like this

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=260

Szark wrote:

Quote:
Seriously though, we do need a deadline and if the communication was there then this wouldn't have happened. Anyway as you say Marten, another lesson learnt. But to rush it just because of a deadline, well that is silly, yes.

Not literal enough, sorry about that. I was talking strictly about the GoMe and its Newsletter. Besides weren't both of those quotes taken from the July Newsletter Discussion thread? Projects=Articles for the newsletter, period. Deadlines, some articles aren't time sensitive so there could be edited and pictures sourced well in advance of the articles that are time sensitive. I mean time sensitive as in breaking news or if we are waiting for something to be verified through Cyan and so on.

Confused now? I hope not. :D

Nanouk_Metal

Kalypso should carefully read the one line text above Szark's sig.
It is self-explanatory. :mrgreen:

My mind is never where it should be!

Even if you can hear only one "bang", it usually means that Szark had time to fire three shots. :P :lol:

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Well I apologize to you Szark if I overstep my bounderies. I did not intent to gain information to tell people how/when to do their job, we all are responsable people here. It was a service I offered at first because Lynnutte was not interested in devoting her energies to making sure deadlines were met. I just though that this "to-do" list could benefit the whole guild.
Lynnutte obviously created the thread to manage the newsletter so I'm just gonna remove the idea of having the columns "Working on" and "Deadline" on the Census making it a final product more static than I imagined (more like a phonebook of the guild rather than an dynamic agenda with things being added and crossed off through time.)

Marten
Marten's picture

Wow, this discussion has just taken off like a firestorm. Nice to see :)

A few notes relating to the topic:

1. I'm going to be somewhat sparse around here for the next week. I still have a mockup or two to make of the new GoMe site. I haven't forgotten, but please do not expect that from me immediately.

2. Regarding Tai'lahr's "2 major announcements", as Kalypso already said, that simply meant that Tai'lahr would not continue to broadcast announcements in Second Life to the various refugee groups; instead, she committed to send out just 2 broadly addressed notices. The first has been sent already, and the second will be sent when MORE's servers come online. As discussed at the last GoMe meeting, we felt that SL refugees would best be suited by an opt-in subscription to news so that nobody would feel spammed.

3. Please chill. 8) I think we can mention when we're busy with other projects, without giving a full disclosure of what those projects may be. If we know it's crunch time for the Archiver, then we can try to shift more work away from those who are working on the Archiver. Although I must say, Szark, you came through with a bunch of articles for this newsletter even while also working for TCT; you are quite prolific. :) I wish that I had the same amount of time and attention span to devote to things. *just slightly envious* :)

Nanouk_Metal

Peronnally. I like Kalypso's idea about the Census.

I have been looking forward to that kind of infos since I have joined the GoMe.

Even if it is only a static list, I am certain that it will be welcome by all who have not access to the Chairs' "private secrets". (joke) :P :mrgreen:

One of the five rules of the Schmith's system for driving safely says: "Get The Big Picture"
The other 4 are:
2- Keep your eyes moving.
3- Leave yourself an out.
4- Aim high on steering.
5- Make sure they see you.

Go Kalypso.

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
I wish that I had the same amount of time and attention span to devote to things. *just slightly envious*

Don't be Marten, I wish I could work for a living, if I was granted one wish, it would to have my health back, then I would be forever rich.

Kalypso I have sent you a PM to explain myself a bit further for a better understanding as I think that this Census is a good idea and it should be continued, to gather as much information as possible. I like to think of it as a staff stock take.

Szark

blutec
blutec's picture

Great job & I love tables! :lol:

I'll provide my emailaddress, but I really love the @gome one and accessability feature.

When I scrolled down the to do list I found:
blutec: create/provide some GMs' board? (Long term project)
I believe that was more a question/suggestion from me rather than a job I took on. Don't recall the circumstances, possibly to do with communication.

grtz, blutec

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

The names next to Long term plan is only to know whose idea it was (to know who to ask if I have question regarding the idea).
However the last 2 sections have been copied/pasted from the Weekly News Update. I haven't had the name to "process" it yet.

Blutec, what is a GM board?

Marten
Marten's picture

Yes, this is definitely a good project. Please continue!

Nanouk_Metal

Are you guys able to see Kalypso's progress with her list ? If yes, where ????

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

It's the first thing you see(and can click on) on the first post.

Nanouk_Metal
Kalypso wrote:
It's the first thing you see(and can click on) on the first post.

Thank you, I found it.

Maybe it was too big and it just went by on all sides without registering in my eyes. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Btw, sorry for the "his list". Edited to "her list" . When someone has lived as a widower for a long time (1979), one does not see the differences anymore.

blutec
blutec's picture

GM board = GuildMasters Board, a platform for all GM's to get in touch, I think at the time I suggested that, some GM's or guildstructures were unclear. It was hard to get information/news/ from the guilds or to get in touch to review/check matters.
This has changed due to the MORE progression, all guilds are (starting to) open and active.

Not longer on wishlist, and with this great job you are doing it's easy for all -visitors and members- to get/stay in touch with GoMe :D

grtz, blutec

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Blutec, I think it is a very good idea for the big deciders or the guilds to talk among themselves to discuss MORE matters.
It's like the G8 in real life but with the GM5(or GM6 is the GoA is represented)

Szark
Szark's picture

GoMe Census / Job list / To-do list

The more I look at this the more I love it. At a glance I can see what is happening and who is responsible for what. Good work Kalypso. I suppose in a way I have become a liaison for most of those 29 forums, my own doing. But they are no bother. It is the Major sorry historic and one Modern Guild that need individual Liaisions for MORE as we will be working hand in hand some of the time and need dedicated Liaisons. Szark

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

Yes Kalypso, very good piece of work, keep it up!
from the 'notes' on moi, AlKaera, 'Interested in more bacground responsabilities.' :arrow: 'proofed' Interested in more bac^k^ground respons^i^abilities.

I'd like to add, that seeing as how I'm a greenie, :mrgreen: That's Mr. thank you, that what I do for GoMe, or anyone else, will grow with experience. Also, I agree with Szark that what we do here OR for anyone else is our personal business and that we are all freelancers and we step up to any task on a level that we feel we can help.

From the 'list'

Quote:
Future ideas for website include a wiki – Future plans.
We can hold a training session on how to use wikis. Szark, Lynnutte, Tai'lahr interested. - Future plans.
Afterthought: Training could encourage people to contribute to MystLore, too. {/quote]

MystLore is a wiki, Tweek is a name I recognize from GoMa as I am a member of GoMa and GoW, do we really think we should engage the work of building our own wiki? Yes, MystLore should be included on our GoMe links I think. If the major Guilds are a part of Myst and MystLore then there could be a direct connection between the 'historical' Guild of Messengers info on the wiki and the 'New' GoMe of the modern age. Either link back to our new GoMe website from MystLore OR solicit, recruit (ducks quack, I duck :lol: ) input from the new GoMe to go do MystLore Wiki page updates, pics included.
Seriously, I could learn how to create/edit/update wiki pages for GoMe, just takes practice, if that's the way GoMe wants to go.
Al
Aside; when I look at a disribution list for adding names to a PM, I see a lot of people who joined a long time ago. Is there no hope for them to get involved again? Just asking :|
Who's recruiting/ re-recruiting new/old members :P

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Mr Alkaera (sorry ;) ), I do not know the reasons why in the last meeting the guild wanted to have a wiki. But I agree that expanding the current entry of the new GoMe would be a good idea and gives us an continuing bump in traffic to the Gome section of the wiki compared to ouw own, hosted on this website.

Edit: Regarding the people who joined this forum, a lot of people are not involved in the guild so they never were messengers. However, last week, the Census Pm was sent to every forum member. The ones who did not respond unfortunately seem to not be interested anymore.(the number is small though) :(

Szark
Szark's picture

If my memory serves me I think the Wiki part was born out of my Weekly updates that I do for the Chairs. At present the website traffic is manageable but if things were to get to a state where I needed help then the website could split in to sections for a certain number of people, who would watch and once a week they would forward their report to the Wiki site for me to collect and collate.
Szark

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

Ok that helps, thanks Szark.
Also;

Quote:
Idea proposed by
Lynnutte: Create journals in cavern? and a way to send from personal explorer journals to KIs of various Guilds members. Might need to be limited to Explorers that ARE guild members rather than ALL explorer personal journals
Marten: Push for another Guild/Group to spearhead grassroots advertising, maybe Guild of Ideas Cavern Criers can do this !!! ??? we don't need Guild mania, the importance of guilds ultimately diminishes.
Narym: Talk to Cyan/GoW/GoMa about tools that would assist us in cavern You bet, right Idea, Go get 'em Narym. heh
Narym: In-Cavern RSS feed? :?: :?: <<<<<----- what Narym said :lol:
Nanouk: A News Age? A News Bevin maybe, Kirel like but YELLOW, with some special features like a separate room for an advertisement imager like Watcher's Pub
Quote:

Are these items up for discussion in depth? Am I behind by not knowing where they are being discussed. Are they their own Topic on the forum already? I could PM peeps about them but that would leave most of us in the dark. :roll:

Szark
Szark's picture

Well all those Alkarea are for the future once MORE is up and running then we can look at the technology to see if these things can be done in game. So that is way we are not discussing them at this time, but something to work towards.
Szark

Al'Kaera
Al&#039;Kaera's picture
Szark wrote:
Well all those Alkarea are for the future once MORE is up and running .....So that is way we are not discussing them at this time, but something to work towards.
Szark

Yes sir, Szark sir. That's Mr. Green.

Al