Home

Myst driven movie

24 replies [Last post]
Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Hi folks!:)
There is GREAT NEWS! A great Myst-Movie has arrived, and I'm not so good in english to announce it, so may be enyone can do it for me?
The link to the brand new film it here: https://youtu.be/SdsgJD-UETo

There is also some quite interesting info from the filmmaker: "just to let you know if I can get enough views and likes I will be continuing this movie on, and it will be like a book with 13 chapters. each chapter will only be ten minutes long, and they will continue on from each other.... so if anyone has any good ideas of a good story line, once I enter the island, comment below and let me know and I will take everything into consideration...".

Official description of the movie:  "When a Journal shows up at the door of an archaeologist, he uncovers a truth about a ancient myth that has been hunting him his entire life. What he discovers will change the history of the world as we know it and unlock new and interesting worlds that is waiting to be discover."

So, I hope anyone is interested in creation of such a great news post!:)

Also, it will be great, if you can post this new somewhere else, so more people get know about the movie! :)

Korovev
Korovev's picture
Council memberTranslatorMessenger

Looks promising, but I think a post in the Cyan forums is more appropriate. Also, ‘official’ is misleading, as it doesn’t look like Cyan is involved.

_____

.yimem erTxEmatav tArema erTxEmatav

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Hmm.. he using the official soundtracks, and the filme title on youtube states, that this is official movie...
I'll look if I can post it on cyan forums.

Korovev
Korovev's picture

Using the soundtrack does not necessarily means he has Cyan’s endorsement wink

_____

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Ok, I asked the author about it. Let see, why the movie is called "official"..

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

So, it's no more "official". The meaning was "full length movie", and he changed this to avoid missunderstanding.
Therefore, I think we can post it here, cause movie author is a normal Myst-fan like us, so he is a part of Myst community:)

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Something like:

------------------------------------

At 7.02.2016, Jake Sliman aka xeviocane and his Sliman's Studios Productions Company has made a full length 50-Minutes Film, "Myst: The Journey".

The Movie tells us another story from the Myst Universe, happening on Earth. It about an archeologist, Dr. Jeckson, who is leading the digsite in Egypt, using information from his Grandfather. Occasionaly he receives a strange package from someone... You can guess what's in the package, but you should see it from yourself! :)

The link on Youtube: https://youtu.be/SdsgJD-UETo

In August 2015 there waas a trailer to the movie, that can be seen here: https://youtu.be/URRaONiIbbw

By the information from author: "if I can get enough views and likes I will be continuing this movie on, and it will be like a book with 13 chapters. each chapter will only be ten minutes long, and they will continue on from each other.... so if anyone has any good ideas of a good story line, once I enter the island, comment below and let me know and I will take everything into consideration"

So, let's take a view and like it:)

I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

---------------------------------------------

How do you think about it?
It would be nice, if someone could create a news post like that:)

Doobes
Doobes's picture
WebmasterCouncil memberMagazine teamCavern CrierUru2U TeamMessenger

Er...Doctor Daniel Jackson?  I think another franchise would have a problem with them using that name. cheeky

I'm on the fence about a news post on this.  It kind of came out of nowhere and they're tip-toeing around some serious copyright issues.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

So, I've asked the author about it, and he said "Tell them not to worry", because, he's not making any money of the movie and there cannot be any problem. And "Jackson and Daniel are really common names it is perfectly plausible that that could be somebody's real name so they cannot sue over that..."
As of me, I'm really thinking, that there can't be a problem as far as he don't making any money of it. There is a plenty of fan-driven things like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt89xLCwPBs without any permission from Franchise's owner.
We are just saying, that the man has done a great movie, so anyone can enjoy it! :)

Additionaly, Jake said: "in the disclaimer of the movie I will make sure I mentioned that the doctor Daniel Jackson name was taken from Stargate sg1" so everything is covered.

Korovev
Korovev's picture

I made a post on the Cyan forum, but eventually I deleted it. The biggest issue I have is with the soundtrack, an original one would have been better.

That and the “official movie” thing that was only recently corrected. The Lost Ages trailer was authorized by Cyan before being published, wasn’t it? And it still wasn’t “official”.

_____

Doobes
Doobes's picture

Dagnarus wrote:

And "Jackson and Daniel are really common names it is perfectly plausible that that could be somebody's real name so they cannot sue over that..."

The names by themselves...and indeed, the name Daniel Jackson itself...are not grounds for legal trouble, particularly if it's the name of a real person.  In this case, however, it's the name of a character in a film production.  Now even if the character was just named Daniel Jackson, that's fine...but they made him a doctor of Archaeology, coming off a dig in Egypt, using information from his grandfather (presumably also an Archaeologist) to investigate an ancient civilization.

All that is quite specific, and is very close to the backstory of the Stargate character as well, even the Archaeologist grandfather part.  It's way too close.  The appearance of the two characters is also similar.

Dagnarus wrote:

As of me, I'm really thinking, that there can't be a problem as far as he don't making any money of it. There is a plenty of fan-driven things like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt89xLCwPBs without any permission from Franchise's owner.
We are just saying, that the man has done a great movie, so anyone can enjoy it! :)

True...and therein lies the problem.  As you know, Cyan was trying to get a movie made before it fell through, and last year they signed a deal to develop a TV series.  Were this just an in-game production (machinima), a "let's play" video, a bit of written fanfic, or even just a short little clip, that would be one thing, but this is an actual film with high production values.  That ups the stakes a bit, particularly when it was initially called the "official movie" before it was changed. 

The powers that be may not want something out there that would conflict with anything official in the works, so even though they're not making money off of it, the content itself might still be grounds for a cease and desist letter from either Cyan, Legendary Pictures, both, or even MGM Studios for the Dr. Daniel Jackson character.

Dagnarus wrote:

Additionaly, Jake said: "in the disclaimer of the movie I will make sure I mentioned that the doctor Daniel Jackson name was taken from Stargate sg1" so everything is covered.

Yeah...sadly, I don't think that'll help the matter.  In fact, that may make things worse if they admit they deliberately lifted the name from Stargate.

I know you're excited to promote this film, Dagnarus...but I'd like to see what Cyan says on this, if anything, before we make a news post.  You, Jake, or anyone involved in the production are welcome to contact them on this if you like and you can share what they say.

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Ok. That all makes sense, but.. I don't really understand, which problems it makes for us? We will just say, that we've saw that great movie, and just let other people know about it. We have nothing to do with the contents of the movie itself..

Jake responds: "im not worrying  about anything because since the songs are from cyan all of the advertising  that goes on there any profit that ia made go to cyan....even though i dont make any profit because i dont collect they make somthing.....youtube says they can always chance their mind.....so if cyan ever get really picky they can always take down the video....so in a way cyan is still making  profit from me ......." And for real, what needs to be a subject of his letter to cyan?

but this is an actual film with high production values

I think this is not really it.. I don't see many more values as by that 'let's play' with a bit of written fanfic... There is a lot of other fanfic videos with a lot of series...

the content itself might still be grounds for a cease

This may be only if the popularity grows and the author will start to earn anything from it, but he's just saying that he wants to make a continuation, like a lot of people has done, by thinking out some fanfic stories in written form. And he is doing it in for of hand-made video... The number of views and likes he needs for continuation is just about not to film the story, that no one wants to see.

That ups the stakes a bit, particularly when it was initially called the "official movie" before it was changed

“official movie” thing that was only recently corrected

Recently or not, it was corrected, and this is not longer a matter...

And, like I said, what that all makes for problem for us.. for you, guys?? Really:) I don't think that anybody would claim you or GoMe webpage for advertising a fan-made video. And in case you think that such a thing can happen, you always can solve it by just removing a troublemaking post or am I wrong?... So what's the matter about it all?? ...
Just tell me, have you found the movie interesting or not? I am, and I really want to see continuation. And that doesn't prevents me from desire to see some really official things :)

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

And I'm not involved. I just saw the movie and thought: "It's great! Myst Community needs to know about such a treasure!". So, what is the whole thing now about? :)

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Sorry, if I may be just don't get something. But the hand-made fanfiction movie, that don't make any financial profit for the author isn't about any troubles. The film is not much more that a normal hand-made video, but it just seems more proffesional and has nice story and made in the "Myst"-atmosphere.
And I'm telling just about making a news post about the interesting filmed video of Jake Sliman and his crew.
Sorry if I missinformed you in some way, because don't really know the right terminology of something.. But I really want to let other people know about that film!
And I also can make that news post from myself, but I thought your english will be better. And may be your advertising expirience in getting other people know, that the film is interesting and they should see it!:)

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger

I haven't weighed in on this, yet...Mostly because I haven't had a chance to review the posts and supporting materials.

I'll add my thoughts later, likely tonight after the New Explorer Info Session, and I've had dinner.

Edit: Sadly, because of the cold, making dinner took most of my energy, this is just going to have to wait for another day...plus I have 10hr shift tomorrow.

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Any news? :)
Or I'm only one here excited about this movie...

Doobes
Doobes's picture

To be perfectly honest, I'm still a bit wary.  All my previously stated issues aside, if this is something they wanted promoted and talked about, then why have they not posted about it in the Cyan and/or Myst Online "Creativity" forums, the two most obvious choices to truly get the word out to fans about it and get more viewers (which is something they're hoping for)?  Why have they not posted the Youtube video to the various pages on Facebook where fans congregate?

Why has word of it only come to the GoMe?  Why are we the only conduit so far?

I have not seen it mentioned anywhere else in various places in the community, which is normally how these things are vetted.  The same issue came up with the DniGuildHall site.  That also came out of nowhere from a previously unknown entity.  Nothing about it anywhere except a news post in our workflow, so we held off and asked publicly if someone would come forward with more information for the community.  The owner of the site eventually DID come forward, introduced themselves and their intent to the fans, and we in turn reported about it.

Put simply, we just report the news; we rarely put out exclusive news ourselves unless its one of our own projects or events (such as the recent Info Session) OR if it's from an already vetted and trusted source (who usually also release the news themselves), such as the Guild of Writers, Radio Free D'ni, Heritage Night, or even individuals such as R'Tayrtahn, Patricio, etc.

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Ok.:) Sorry about comming from nowhere.. But..
That is the point of the Filmmaker, who apparantly also didn't knew about GoMe:
"well I already advertise on YouTube, my Facebook page that you found the video on on, and also I have it on my website which is Sliman studios productions... and also I've never been a big forum person nd I never thought about advertising that way.... I just do these videos for fun I don't do them to make money I don't do them for publicity purposes stuff like that..... I do these videos because it is my hobby...

But I can look into the things that y'all said to try to advertise it more.... but it can also get more views if all the people on your forum who likes the movie shares the movie because it is possible for them to share YouTube videos"
And:
"Do you have any recommendations of what forums I should join.. you are correct that I should the advertising on those also and I will try to start doing that but I don't know which one to go to because like I said before I've never been interested in joining those or doing that stuff so I really don't know which one would be the best ones"
"Okay just to let you know that I've joined a missed community forum so I will start to advertise their"

Actually.. I'm also not really the forum guy and also don't know on which sites/pages/threads is to best to post the news. It just was my first thought to advertise the Movie here :)
Therefore, it will be nice, if you can share some links, where the Filmmaker can share the news and if you want, I can just give you his contacts, so you can talk to him directly and maybe arrange some Q&A.

Edit:
Actually the contacts are easy to find: https://www.facebook.com/sliman.studios.productions/ :)

Korovev
Korovev's picture

So, what happened is that the filmmaker posted on the MOULa forum, and the thread was quickly locked and the link disabled pending approval.

I’m sorry, but it seems Cyan shares Doobes’ worries.

_____

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger

I've also sent a message about this to Tor'i, their Lead CSR for her input...

...So far she hasn't even read the message, I'm assuming she's on  VC time or really busy.

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Korovev wrote:

I’m sorry, but it seems Cyan shares Doobes’ worries.

Ok. Let see what they think about it...

Nev'yn wrote:

I've also sent a message about this to Tor'i, their Lead CSR for her input...

Nice!:)

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

There are some news. The author stated, that he had contact with the Cyan employee and they asked him to change the movie name. So, now after the movie was renamed everything seems to be ok. He also posted some advertisement on some myst forum (may be the same as last time).
The link to renamed movie is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaC2_GZIaXA

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

" I have just been informed today that the movie has been approved and is not infringe any copyright of the cyan apartment so now I will be able to advertise on the myst forums...... so if you do any advertising and anyone complains about i....t tell him I already have permission. ...."

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

So. Is anyone interested in advertising the movie? Now, when it's officially accepted by Cyan.

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

So, here it is: http://www.guildofmessengers.com/ru/content/new-fan-made-movie
Waiting for your proofread & approval! :)