Home

Open Jobs at GoMe

177 replies [Last post]
Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

I'm going to keep this thread updated, so if you have something to add (or wish to take a position off the list), let me know!

Open Jobs

Website/Forum

Assistant Webmaster: Assist the webmaster in the improvement and maintenance of the website but also be a back-up if needed. Knowledge about Website/Forums is a big plus. The software used is Drupal.

Site Admins: Responsible for maintaining the Pages of the Website and Guild Books updated. Knowledge about how websites work is not needed, as this is managed by the Webmasters.

News translators: Translate the website and the news in french, spanish deutsch, italian or other languages. Being bilingual is necessary.

Calendar Manager: Manage the Guild of Messengers Calendar. Add new entries based on the Guild of Greeters Calendar or other sources. Being on the lookout (message boards, the Cavern) for new things to add to the Calendar would be great.

Liaisons (http://www.guildofmessengers.com/book/what-and-who-liaison)

GoA: Be the link between the GoMe and the GoArchivists. Must have good people skills and be involved in the GoArc. Facilitate information exchange between both guilds. Help to develop projects that involve both Guilds.

Second Life Liaison: Be the link between the GoMe and the MYST/URU community in Second Life. Must have good people skills and be involved in Second Life. Share information both ways: News from the GoMe and feedback/news/event announcement from the Second Life community.

Group Liaisons: Be the link between the GoMe and a particular group or guild (examples; D'ni Jazz Club, Guild of Comedy, The Great Tree, Uru Obsession, Cavern Communication Network, Guild of Caterers, D'ni Zoological Society, Guild of Healers, The Cavern Today). Share information both ways: News from the GoMe and feedback from the group.

Communities Liaisons: Be the link between the GoMe and a non-english community (french, italien, deutsch, etc). Share information both ways: News from the GoMe and feedback from the community.

In Cavern

Cavern Criers: Be in Ae'gura/Bevins/Kirel to distribute KI Mails and talk about Uru news to interested explorers. Must have good people skills.

GoMe Recruiter: Talk about the GoMe to interested explorers, in the Cavern and on the main forums. Visit Kirel often to advertise the GoMe. Must be proactive and with good people skills.

Ki Mail Writer: Write News-based Ki Mails for the Cavern Crier to distribute.

Social Media

Facebook Managers: Be the project managers of the Facebook fan page for the GoMe. Develop the page, keep it updated with news, engage with the Facebook fans and grow the influence of the GoMe on Facebook. Knowledge about Facebook is a big plus.

Newspaper

Reporters (at least 2): Searches for news stories; with approval from an Editor, writes story and prepares it for publication.

Columnists (as needed): Prepares recurring articles.

Copywriter: Assists with writing articles, provides small filler pieces. Verifies facts if necessary.

Layout Artist: Determines how to arrange articles for best fit, while maintaining article priorities.

Assemblers (2 positions): Puts final copy of Newspaper together, ensuring articles and graphics fit within specifications and look professional and easy to read.

Photographer: Provides pictures for features and articles.

Graphic Artist: Provides logos, headers, etc.

Proofreader: Checks spelling, grammar.

Translators: Translates paper to various languages.

Distributor: Sends paper out via email, posts announcements on various forums

Satellite Communities

Second Life Field Reporter: Informs the GoMe of what is happening in Second Life (Uru-related news or events) so that the GoMe can share the information with the wider Uru community.

If you are interested in one of these positions or want more information, please post here or PM me and we will answer you and hopefully put you to work. :D Please also post if you have a GoMe or affiliate-related project needing volunteers / messengers so I can add it to the list.

Last EDITED: 09-04-2010

Kalypso: #85553

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

I'll put this information in the GoMe Newsletter ;)

Bert_2

Well, I can build any website related stuff and still do that dutch translation, si where should I get started ?

visit The Cavern Today and listen to our great podcasts, get the latest news via the extra and read everything what has happened in the archiver on http://www.thecaverntoday.org

shimmerillion
Messenger

Bert, I will set you up with translator's access to the news feed and PM it to you. I'll see about creating an FTP login for you, also. Yay!

Shimmerillion | KI 01204798 | rel.to/gome

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

I'll leave german translator off the newsletter but could also ask for translators for other languages...

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Shimmer could you add that the CC are looking for new Cavern Criers as well? ;) Thanks

ps: Are you still looking for help with the Website itself or with Bert you are ok? I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should put it in the GoMe newsletter.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

I have new information for you to put in the first post Shimmer:

CCN: Photographers, actors, videographers, musicians and scriptwriters for the episode "news" stories.

Uru Radio: Radio Hosts doing weekly or biweekly shows on a particular topic. (e.g someone could do the weekly "age creation" show or the weekly "community events" show etc.)

Archiver: Assemblers (graphical skills needed)

Cavern Criers: New Cavern Criers.

Thanks ;)

shimmerillion
Messenger

List updated.

I think with Bert we'll be ok (once I get him set up). But we do need more mods here at the forum!

Jnathus
shimmerillion wrote:
. . . we do need more mods here at the forum!

I want to volunteer for this, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to commit the time necessary. I've shared the methodology I've developed on our forums (

http://www.thecaverntoday.org/forum

) with Shimmerillion. Anyone with admin access and knowledge might benefit from what myself or Anthony might be able to share in spam control.

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

Any help with spam control would be greatly appreciated.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

shimmerillion
Messenger

Jnathus, I'll go ahead and make you a mod. Any time you have to donate is helpful - no worries.

I did research a couple of possibilities for cutting down the spam, and I think I'm going to update the board to version 3 and install some mods that should help. My time this holiday break is limited, but I'll make this the top priority.

Jnathus
shimmerillion wrote:
Jnathus, I'll go ahead and make you a mod. Any time you have to donate is helpful - no worries.

Thank you. I'll do my best to do the post honor. :)

Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger

Hiya. Well I have finally managed to get here. Thanks to Kalypso. I thought I 'd better introduce myself. I am relatively new to MOUL November 2007. Yes still wet behind the ears so to speak.I have played the offline URU with To D'ni expanstion pack. Well after finishing the puzzle elements, copying and typing out all Journals I could find, read The Myst reader twice, made my own D'ni numbers in Word to paste in the History of the Kings which I then printed on parchment like paper. Very nice. Eeeek I'm starting sound like a nerd. Niccce!
Anyway back to the point are you still looking for Photographers? I think that is all I can offer at the moment as I am still finding me feet. I have attached a sample and have plenty more. No worries if you don't need me but if you do you know where I will be.

Take care

Lynnutte

That is a great pic Szark!

shimmerillion
Messenger

Szark, yes, the Archiver can always use photographers! I think stellaflora is the only regular at this point. Also, I am in need of some GoMe-related pictures for the website.

For Archiver, visit

http://thecaverntoday.org/forum/

and sign up for a forum ID. Then PM Narym that you would like to take pictures for the Archiver.

For the website, just take a bunch of Guild of Messengers-related pictures (Kirel, GoMe Pub, even some generic D'ni stuff) and email them to

guildofmessengers@gmail.com

Glad to have you aboard!

Szark
Szark's picture

Yipeeee Thank you for taking me aboard. Hope I can do a good job, all I can is I will do my best. I use pics straight of the KI. I don't alter them in anyway and besides I woundn't know how but if required I can Learn. With a little guidence. I am a quick learner.

I have PMed Narym.

I have made a start on the Pub and Kirel. Generic D'ni stuff? hmmmmm have to think on that one. What time restraints have we?
Take care

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Welcome Szark! Glad to see that you also have an interest in the GoMe :D
As you can see we are a very nice group of people so don't hesitate to post in the various threads ;) I'd love to hear your points of view of a variety of subjects. :)

ps: To answer the question that you asked me in the SAPS forum: I've been in the cavern since Prologue(2003?). I stayed until it was close but I did not stay for Until Uru. I came back for MOUL which was December 2006.

Lynnutte

It is so niceto have someone new. And to come with such enthusiasm is great to see. Welcome Szark!

Szark
Szark's picture

I almost feel like part of the familiy already. :shock: :o :) :D :lol:
First batch of Pub pics nearly done.............How many would you like to choose from? I have 13 pics for pub to look at. Is that to many to e-mail? What time restraints have we? Can anyone let me know so I can plan my time accordingly.

Cheers and take care

Quote:
[I use pics straight of the KI. I don't alter them in anyway and besides I woundn't know how but if required I can Learn./quote]
I should learn not to be so hasty. I have had to alter Brightness and contrast of the Pub pics. I will get them off later. Let me know what you think please.

It is hard on the old neck doing this photography........

shimmerillion
Messenger

Szark - Wow, you're fast! No, 13 is great - the more the better!

I'll be tweaking the design over the next few weeks, so no rush. And I can photoshop brightness/contrast, no problem. It would especially be helpful to have a picture or two for each page of our site. So, for example, you could go to the About section and see that we need a picture that has something to do with "About," "CCN," "Cavern Criers," etc. Some of these might require arranging a photo shoot with those groups.

FYI: If you use PrintScreen instead of the KI, you get a larger resolution (bigger photo). Only trick is that you then have to dump it into Paint or Word or something before you can take another. :P

Thanks a bunch!

Szark
Szark's picture

Ok I have sent some Pub pics 9 in total. I have done the contrast and brightness. Let me know what you think. I can leave that process out for now. I don't have Photoshop or equivalent. Just using what I have with Vista and IfranView.

I have got another 13 Kirel half have been altered so I will hold off until I hear back.

Take care

Lynnutte

If you need to contact the Cavern Criers or Relayers, I'm your person. Just let me know what you need and I'll arrange it.

Szark
Szark's picture

Thanks Lynnutte. I'll get the Pub and Kirel pics done first and then I will contact you sometime next week if that is ok.
Looks like I have hit the floor running. :lol:

Glad you like the pics shimmerillion. I have just spent the last few hours finding a screenshot program PrnyScrn.net. Yipeeee it works.
I have done some more pubs pics with printscreen, send them off tommorow as I have to remember to wait for the cursor to disappear, have to redo some. But they look alot better.

Take care

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
Welcome Szark! Glad to see that you also have an interest in the GoMe
As you can see we are a very nice group of people so don't hesitate to post in the various threads I'd love to hear your points of view of a variety of subjects.

ps: To answer the question that you asked me in the SAPS forum: I've been in the cavern since Prologue(2003?). I stayed until it was close but I did not stay for Until Uru. I came back for MOUL which was December 2006

I am ever so sorry Kalypso. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I have been gigdy as kid in a sweet shop. :roll: So you are a Prologuer. Nice one but not very nice when it went, though. I bet it feels nice to be back. MOUL is definately one of a kind at the moment.
I haven't had a chance to look at all the threads yet but I will at some point. If I have something to add, I will definately share. politely of cause. :D Shimmer is keeping me busy at the mo with taking pics.
I have just sent off 36 pics of the GoMe Pub. I am starting to like yellow. :oops:

Take care

Lial
Messenger

Gadwin Printscreen is another very good, free, utility for making screenshots with Windows or Vista. You can find it here. We use Gadwin Printscreen to take screenshots for the Guild of Greeters documents, saving them in .png format. For MacOS, I use SnapzPro - not free, unfortunately.

Lial

KI# 115132

Szark
Szark's picture

Yeah Thanks Lial. I looked at that and I had seen a review of it in a computer mag.
This little piece of sofltware that I use just saves the pic in a file, of your choosing, you give a title and when hit PrntScrn it puts a number behind that title and so on.
I disregarded Gadwin Printscreen as I wasn't 100% sure that it was Vista compatible where as this one stated that it was.

Again cheers Lial for the interest and advice. Lial, does your indoor/city screenshots come out dark as standard and need contrast and brightness adjusting?

Take care
Szark

Lial
Messenger

Szark,

I don't run Vista, so I don't have personal experience using Gadwin Printscreen with it. At the website statement is that it is intended for use with Vista as well as with XP.

Many of my interior screenshots are rather dark. They appear darker to people who use CRTs than to people who use LCD screens. I don't do the post processing for screenshots, but I suspect Ayli tinkers with brightness as she does the post processing and adds text information to the shots. You could ask her in a PM at the MOUL forum or at GoG forum if you are registered there. Ayli isn't registered here.

Lial

KI# 115132

Szark
Szark's picture

Cheers Lial. Yes I am registered with them thanks.
I am running LCD and they still look dark. I will ask Ayli if she has the same.
Again Thanks
Szark

Veralun
Veralun's picture

@Szark, nice job you are doing with these pictures.
Do you know the programm Irfan View? It is free and it is perfect for handling pictures.
I always use this when a pic is too dark or need some adjusting.

Also it would be nice if you can share your pictures with others.
At CCN we set up a gallery which we offer you to use when you want.
Have a look here
You can set up your own gallery. If you need help with that just shout.

.......................CCN.........................

Szark
Szark's picture

Thank you Veralun. I still not sure who everyone is and what they do so bear with me. I take it from your commemt that you have seen the pictures of the pub?
Irfan View. Yes Veralun cheers I have it and use it.
Funny you should mention IrfanView, I have a couple of questions. Is Irfan Wysiwyg ( What you see is what you get). I noticed that when I view these pics in IrfanView they seem lighter than when viewed in Vista's photo Gallery and should I get (do I need it) Photoshop if I am going to more in the future.

I had a thought about the About page. Guild Siblings. Do you want a picture of each Pub to use as a Thumbnail beside the name. example:

Take care.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger
Szark wrote:
Thank you Veralun. I still not sure who everyone is and what they do so bear with me.

I imagine that can be confusing. :D I'll try to quickly give you a who's who(Anyone with at least 5 posts). Please correct me if I'm wrong of if I miss some things.

Shimmerillion(Shimmer): Webmaster of the GoMe Website. She is the one in chargeof the website and the forum. She also write for the Archiver(TCT magazine)
Kalypso(Andros): I work closely with Shimmer on the GoMe. I also do a lot of Public Relation for the GoMe (with the affiliates, the other guilds and cavern community). I'm also a french news translator for the website. Finally I'm a Cavern Crier.
Lynnutte: She is the person in charge of the Relayers and the Cavern Criers. Moderator of the GoMe forum.
Marten: He is a member of the CCN and also in charge of The Great Tree(an explorer organization).
Anthony: Member of TCT
Jnathus: Member of TCT and moderator of the GoMe forum.
Narym: member of TCT and in charge of the Archiver
Bert_2: Member of TCT
Veralun: In charge of CCN
Szark: You, a new GoMe member. Also a part in the SAPS.
blutec: New GoMe member.

Non-GoMe members:
Lial: A member of the GoG working on the GoG calendar but he is in charge of the 2 Events Ki Mails the Cavern Criers distribute.
semplerfi: Person in charge of the Guild of Comedy shows