Home

Open Jobs at GoMe

177 replies [Last post]
Narym

lol at this rate the newsletter will beat the Archiver out :roll:

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

Why don't you two proofread. I'll worry more about the flow of the articles. That frees me up to work on my home improvments that I need to get done. I am also getting ano0ther bad tension headache, so this would be perfect. :D

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Lial
Messenger

Since this is a thread about open jobs at GoMe, let me throw out calendar keeping that I think plays an important role in keeping the community informed of upcoming events. In the last days the cavern was open I maintained KI mail that provided an in game list of upcoming events. Those events were single occurrence and repeating. Donahoo has said she plans to move her D'ni cocktail parties back to the cavern. I will correspond with others, such as Dagra, to ask it they will also move their events back to it. I think it would be great if a member of the GoMe would volunteer to start that again.

There is an online calendar here on the website as well. It is fairly easy to post to it and maintain it. I've been doing that for a few months now and before that kept a calendar at the GoG website for over a year. I would be happy to hand off the GoMe calendar keeping to someone who wants to do that.

Lial

KI# 115132

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

I highjacked the first post of this thread (sorry Shimmer ;) ) to reflect the actual view of what are the jobs currently available in the cavern. The fist post will be edited often.

Please, if you are in charge of a project and you know you'd need help with it or if a new position would be opened in the project, PM me or write in this thread so I'll be able to list the position on the first post.

If you have a project not listed or a project that you'd want to start but that is lacking manpower, please post about it.

If you are currently a "working" messenger and you're current role/tasks/job in the guild is too much work and you'd like to have some assistance or replacement with it, please post.

If you you are interested in a job listed or want more information about it, please post.

Kalypso: #85553

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Edited the first post to remove to positions of GoG and GoMa liaisons because Tailahr is our new Guild of Greeters Liaison while Leonardo is our new Guild of Maintainers Liaison. ;)
Thanks Tailahr and Leonardo! :D Congrats on your new jobs!

Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger

Whey Hey concragts to you both and thank you Leonardo. I am your temporary overseer for the time being as I am acting as the Chair for the Liaisons, note acting because you might as well use me as a chair. :D
Take care
Szark

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

Thank you everyone!!!!

I'll try to do my best to accomplish the goals of this my new job :D

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Considering the flow of messengers who joined the Guild of Messengers lately, 7 in the last 3 weeks, and the lack of jobs available in the GoMe at the moment, I'm stopping the active recruitment of new messengers (although people can still join if they want to).

I'm gonna continue the recruitment drive when the current new messengers will have settled in their new jobs and when there will be an increase of jobs available in the guild or new GoMe projects started.

Szark
Szark's picture

Interesting post here worth a read. Re:First things first. Hello and back to work!
Szark

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Maybe its because I just woke up and my brain is still slow but how is it an interesting thread and how is it related to Open Jobs at the GoMe?

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
decided to *stay right here. I will also be a member of the Guild of Archivists (I like to stay close to the research source), and the Guild of Writers, because I now have my own little 3ds Max to create my illustrations (ages). Other guilds, including the Guild of Messengers are also of interest. The main reason(s) for me to join a guild is education, connections, education, service, education. I think it is the historic reason(s) for joining a guild too.

"including the Guild of Messengers are also of interest" Need I say more.
Szark

But as you have stopped recruiting then this is a mute point.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Ah ok! Thanks for being my temporary brain Szark. ;) I do not have a account on the GoFA but I'll take a mental note of Ruby's interest in the GoMe. However, I think that recruiting on other Guild forums is tacky (don't want to steal their workforce). I'll probably contact her through the MOUL forum.

Thanks for the tip ;)

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

/me also schemes on how to get Ruby involved.
8)

She's a good person, and her heart is in education (if you hadn't guessed from her post).

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Marten, please don't hesitate to share your thoughts about Ruby possible involvement. I'd like to hear it.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Edited the first post to remove GoC Liaison because Lynnutte is our new Guild of Cartographers Liaisons!

Congrats and thanks!

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Edited the first post because phase 2 of the census is done (listing all the jobs available).

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Added the Editor of the newsletter to the first post.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Host / Moderator Project Manager added to the first post.

Quote:
You've been pulling people into the guild... and sometimes there hasn't been anything for those people to do. With Theremin, you already had a good idea of what he could do to help; I think that's the right way to do things, but I'm afraid not every new member has had the same experience. I know that you've been putting some thought into "Where will this person fit?" with each new person, but I think you'll find that recruiting works best if you can give every new person something to do right away, even if that job is "bring new ideas to the table." I'd like to see the latest new arrivals (who are without direction) be asked what they think we, as a guild, should be doing. Then either answer how we're doing it, defer the person and task to another guild if it doesn't seem a fit for our group, or put the person to work implementing the great idea in our group.

EDIT: Marten, the main problem with the non-active messengers is that they don't reply to my PMs, don't do the job they applied to or they got no time right now to devote to the guild. I can't force someone to talk to me or do things around here.

I always try to "give every new person something to do right away, even if that job is "bring new ideas to the table.". Early in my exchanges, I direct them to the Census doc, asking them to find a job there they are interested in doing if they can't find any to reply to me that they'd like something else. Again, I can't force someone to write back to me or do something they don't want.

What you are thinking is good Marten, they are good suggestions. Unfortunately, the lack of result doesn't mean that they haven't been tried, on the contrary. But to put a positive spin, i'll try to have them bring new ideas to the tables... even though a good size of new recruits have no idea what we do when I contact them.

Theremin
Theremin's picture

How about this:

With the expansion of the newsletter to a newspaper, we could have a small section (title to be determined) where each "new" member could be asked to submit a short (100 words max) article about what got them interested in Myst/URU? This would not only give them something to do, but would establish a sense of belonging for them. ("Hey, they printed my article!")

I'd try to steer away from opinion articles ("I'd like to see this..." or "Here's what I think about this age...". Tell you what, I'll submit my own article so you can get an idea of what I'm suggesting.

Edit: It's on the Wiki, the last item on my TODO List.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Not a bad idea Theremin. I could propose it to the new messenger. I can't promise that they will accept the "challenge" (some people know that they have NO witting skills and prefer to not write at all.) But ok, I'll propose them.

I'll add this to my Wiki to not forget your and Marten's advice.

Theremin
Theremin's picture

We could offer to clean it up for them and make it look good if they wished. I think by keeping it short they won't feel too pressured. We could run some from one of our existing members (I vote for Al'Kaera, we go back a long way in the cavern! :lol: ) to give them an idea of what we want.

It might also give us an idea of the level of commitment of new members. I must confess I've joined a few forums just to view one or two things and have never returned. :cry: It's frustrating sometimes to welcome a new member (Such as everyone did for me) and offer them various roles, only to have them sort of drift away... (No one in particular comes to mind, merely a generalization! :wink: )

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

A clarification: Being a member of this forum does not equal being a messenger. New messengers expressed the desire/ accepted the proposal of being a messenger.

But being a messenger doesn't mean putting 10 hours per week or more in the guild. 1 hour is fine because every little bit of help... helps. Just expressing his/her opinions on GoMe things is great. No need to be in charge of some heavy responsibility to be a messenger. What I am having a problem with is receiving a title(messenger) and cutting off completely from the GoMe or lurking on the forum while not replying to the PMs.
I thank those who do reply to let me know that they are still messengers... just very busy right now. FloCat is an example, she is still very committed to Gome the gopher but she has little time to devote to it these days. It's very good and I thank her again. I'm looking forward to her return. ;)

Nanouk_Metal

A question:
Do we have a good definition about what a Liaison's person is and what is the job ?

I am trying to recruit a person that might be interrested in becoming a Liaison for the Guild of Fine Artists.... if we do not already have one already. :mrgreen:

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Great Job Nanouk. :D We currently don't have a Liaison to the GoFA /thumbsup2

Here is the GoMe Liaison Definition :) Let us know if you succeed :mrgreen:

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture
Nanouk_Metal wrote:
I am trying to recruit a person that might be interrested in becoming a Liaison for the Guild of Fine Artists....

Very Cool Nanouk !! Care to give a 'hint' on a name? Is it Mireena, Miranna, Peni, ?, ?, ? I do know some more of them, their names are brain fuzzy at the moment.
AlKaera

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Nanouk_Metal

The MO:UL's username is Mysthral.

My moves were made on the french forum in these posts...
1- http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=280214#280214
2- http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=280254#280254

This a first encounter and I do not know the person. Do not set your hopes too high. It might be only somebody who talks a lot but..... ???? :mrgreen:

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

I know Mireena, Miranna and Peni too! Anyone one of them would make a great liason. :D

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Guys, here are the list of open jobs in the GoMe with a short description of the jobs. I posted it in the first post of the thread for reference but here it is also. Again, if you have any comments, suggestions, questions before I move to next step, now is the time. ;)

Open Jobs

Website/Forum

Assistant Webmaster: Assist the webmaster in the improvement and maintenance of the website but also be a back-up if needed. Knowledge about Website/Forums is a big plus.

Wiki Manager: Develop and maintain the GoMe wiki. Knowledge about wikis is a huge plus.

News translators: Translate the website and the news in french,spanish, deutsch, italian, dutch and other languages if you are bilingual.

Council

Elections Organizer: Organize the next GoMe elections.

Liaisons

GoW: Be the link between the GoMe and the GoWriters. Must have good people skills and be involved in the GoW. Facilitate information exchange between both guilds. Help to develop projects that involve both Guilds.

GoA: Be the link between the GoMe and the GoArchivists. Must have good people skills and be involved in the GoArc. Facilitate information exchange between both guilds. Help to develop projects that involve both Guilds.

Moul forums: Be the link between the GoMe and the MOUL forums. Must be an avid reader of the Moul forum and report interesting information to the GoMe. Must have good people skills.

Group Liaisons: Be the link between the GoMe and a particular group or guild (examples; D'ni Jazz Club, Guild of Comedy, The Great Tree, Uru Obsession, Cavern Communication Network, Guild of Caterers, D'ni Zoological Society, Guild of Healers, The Cavern Today). Share information both ways: News from the GoMe and feedback from the group.

Communities Liaisons: Be the link between the GoMe and a non-english community (french, italien, deutsch, etc). Share information both ways: News from the GoMe and feedback from the community.

In Cavern

Cavern Criers: Be in the Ae'gura/Bevins/Kirel to distribute KI Mails and talk about Uru news to interested explorers. Must have good people skills.

GoMe Recruiter: Talk about the GoMe to interested explorers, in the Cavern and on the main forums. Visit Kirel often and stay next to the GoMe table to advertise the GoMe. Must be proactive and with good people skills.

Social Media

Facebook Managers: Be the project managers of the Facebook fan page for the GoMe. Develop the page, keep it updated with news, engage with the Facebook fans and grow the influence of the GoMe on Facebook. Knowledge about Facebook is a big plus.

Twitter Managers: Be the project managers of the Twitter account for the GoMe. Develop the account, keep it updated with news, engage with the Twitter followers and grow the influence of the GoMe on Twitter. Knowledge about Twitter is a big plus.

If you are interested in one of these positions or want more information, please post here or PM me and we will answer you and hopefully put you to work. :D Please also post if you have a GoMe or affiliate-related project needing volunteers / messengers so I can add it to the list.

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

it seems good.

It may be useful to add to the Webmaster description the name of the software we use for the website: Drupal

Our Wiki are the "Guild Books" you see on the Menu, the old Wiki is no longer used and I think Marten has deleted it. The Drupal Books are very simple, we have Tutorials on how to use them in the Tutorials Guild Book. Let me understand if I have a right idea of the tasks of the WikiManager: He is responsibile of the structure of the Guild Books and the keeps up to date the general Guild pages (Who's the GoMe, List of roles, FAQ).

Speaking of Books, you can put this list in the Plans & Projects Book, I think the old Open Jobs page is there with other outdated infomations

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

I wasn't aware that the wiki was deleted. That changes things.

Right now, I'm inclined to distribute the work needed to maintain the Guild books to the webmaster and assistant webster considering that they are part of the website. Do you feel you would need a third person to be a Guild books Manager or you can split the job with the  future assistant webmaster?