Home

Uniform Translations

64 replies [Last post]
OHB
OHB's picture
OHB

So...have ya'll considered what things you want in your new project? :)

OHBJECTION | OHBLITERATION | OHBFUSCATION

Ron Landry
Ron Landry's picture
TranslatorMessenger

@OHB
Leonardo has pointed out (#20), that we should try to make this project general. So I think we talk about the Myst Universe project, not about possible guild specific sub projects. In fact, for a GoMe sub project, I can't give any input at the moment.

Despite I'm no project manager, let me offer my input. You may have noticed my posting #7 ? I suppose, only project managers are allowed to insert new items. I would suggest the following:

names of most important guilds:

• Guild of Greeters
  • Guild of New Greeters
  • Guild of Messengers
  • Guild of Writers
  • Guild of Cartographers
  • Guild of Healers
  • Guild of Sleepers
  • Guild of Maintainers
  • etc. ... ( see http://rel.to/guilds )

names of popular neighborhoods:

• D'ni Musicological Research's Hood
  • D'ni Museum of Art's Hood
  • Amber Horizon's Hood
  • Heritage Night's Hood

names of periodical events:

• Continuous Cavern City Party
  • D'ni Cocktail Party
  • Karaoke Party
  • All Guilds Meeting
  • Eder Tsogal / Delin marathon event
  • Tsahno's Bevin Story Night
  • Sunday Brunch
  • The Meeting Place Fun Day
  • The GoH hosts a Compassion & Caring Assembly
  • Amber Horizons' Monday night get together
  • Up On Roof! (SL Version)
  • D'ni Holiday: First Feast of the Maker

names of functions & responsibilities:

• Cavern Criers
  • tbd.

In addition I would suggest new items for the project "Myst Online: Uru Live" - which would have been helpful for "The Cavern Post", issue 2 indeed:

names of animals:

• Crimson Kadish (age: Kadish Tolesa)
  • Flapper (age: Teledahn)
  • Buggaro (age: Teledahn)
  • Gira Ray (age: Eder Gira)
  • Keanulint (age: Eder Kemo)
  • ... there are a lot of animals in the pod ages. I don't know any names

names of plants:

• Puffer Plant (age: Eder Kemo)
  • Troom Tree (age: Eder Kemo)
  • ??? Mushroom Plant ??? (I'm not shure if this is a specific name for the fleshy plants in Er'cana)
  • ??? (don't know if there is a specific names for the maple trees in Eder Delin)

names of ancient D'ni institutions:

• D'ni Zoological Society
  • tbd.

So far my suggestions.
Ron.

And so I close realising that perhaps the ending has not been written ye

semplerfi
semplerfi's picture

I see that "The Guild of Slackers" has been removed from the guild list but yet again.  cheeky  

Would some one please put us back in the "rel.to" list of guilds. In advance 'Thank You'.  cool

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

fixed

semplerfi
semplerfi's picture

Leonardo wrote:

fixed

On behalf of 'The Guild of Slackers' Thank you.

OHB
OHB's picture
OHB

So...just to give an update. I've created a new project and I've started to load it with all sorts of data. However, a problem presented itself: how to handle plurals.

Since different language handle plural forms differently (for example, English has two [singular, plural], but Arabic has six), I had to create a new system to handle these types of translations. Otherwise, any translations for, let's say, "Cavern Criers" wouldn't be accurate.

So, the basics of the system exists now and it works well. I've still got a little work to do to get the user-experience for translating these items up to par. Once that's done, I can release the project to the public.

Everything you've asked for above to be included is included. Please start giving me other things to add...the more we can get in there right now, the better. It'll give me a better idea of how to lay the project out, which, at this time, includes the following top-level folders:

• Ages (includes a sub-folder for every age which includes age name, locations and flora & fauna)
  • Characters (names of everyone)
  • Games (titles of games)
  • Guilds & Institutions (with sub-folders for each of the guilds and the DLF/DZS)
  • Novels (titles of novels)
  • Technology (pretty empty but has some stuff related to the Art)

So...what do I need to add?

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I thought we (the community) usually agree that Age Names should not be translated. I would not translate Gahreesen to Roccaforte XD

Some things in the ages can be translated....like....uhm....I think sometimes we translated "pod", "flapper", but for sure we never tried to translate Kemo :P Some crazy ubisoft people tried to translate Shroomie....but ignore that <.<

The point of this project is to keep consistency also between different languages, e.g. if in Italian we usually don't translate Shroomie, probably every other language shouldn't...or italian should start translating it because everyone else does. GULP has the "Other Languages" box (which is collapsed by default) for each item, is it possible to put a notice on the project pages to remind people to look at how/if the items were translated in other languages?

OHB
OHB's picture
OHB

Leonardo wrote:
I thought we (the community) usually agree that Age Names should not be translated. I would not translate Gahreesen to Roccaforte XD

True. But if you were Japanese you'd want to transliterate it to ガーリーセン. (This is still "Gahreesen", just written using the Japanese alphabet used for foreign words.

Leonardo wrote:
Is it possible to put a notice on the project pages to remind people to look at how/if the items were translated in other languages?

How about instead I create a flag so that items can be marked as "Names"? The pages will then suggest that the name should be transliterated only or copied from English.

Ron Landry
Ron Landry's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Leonardo wrote:

I never heard or read about such a "rule", Leo. As far as we are talking about ages (and locations) with D'ni names, I agree. But you can't expect, that  translations will be avoided for those ages with (partly) english names! The reality on GULP is different. And, as OHB may point out, there is a voting system at GULP. You will really find translations for many ages (and locations). I have checked german, french, dutch, finnish:

• Ages with (partly) english names:
    Ahnonay Cathedral, Cleft, Descent, Great Zero, Great Zero Observation, [all] Pubs
  • Age locations with (partly) english names:
    Concert Hall Foyer, Er'cana City Silo, Ferry Terminal, Library Courtyard, Palace Alkove, Tokotah Alley

I think, It would be weird NOT to translate those terms in other languages. But it may be a good rule, if we don't translate native D'ni names. Not only for age names, but also for animal, plant and other names. For example, I would never(!) try to translate "Shroomie", but take the Gira Ray in Eder Gira for example - in my opinion it would be weird NOT to translation the term "Ray".

Leonardo wrote:
is it possible to put a notice on the project pages to remind people to look at how/if the items were translated in other languages?

I would prefer if OHB could realize some kind of  "translation guideline page" with recommended common rules, a help page for those, who want to translate. Those common rules could pick up those unwritten(?) rules like you have implied. For example

• please don't translate native D'ni names
  • please don't translate the guild names (only the term "Guild")
  • (to be continued)

Problem: To whatever agreement we will come in this thread: what are the consequences for those terms (how to handle them), which are still translated and violate supposed common rules?

Ron.

And so I close realising that perhaps the ending has not been written ye

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

I actually meant Ages in an IC way, I'm sorry. OOC there are many ages that have names that can be translated, but IC I think the only one is the Nexus and I keep avoiding translating it anyway.

I like OHB's idea for flaggin contents as Names.

Probably Guild names *should* be translated, I most of the names are translatable in other languages.

Problem: To whatever agreement we will come in this thread: what are the consequences for those terms (how to handle them), which are still translated and violate supposed common rules?

We are trying to create a base for shared translation, a standard way to translate Myst Specific terms, but no one is forced to use it. If a translator doesn't want to use it we can do nothing, we are not the police :P

But if our translations are well thought, probably translators (and more importantly *voters* on GULP) will prefer translations that use our "standards".

OHB
OHB's picture
OHB

GULP has had guidelines for a while now...although since the ULP->GULP change they were only displayed once when you created your account.

So, I've re-created the Help page and put the content here:

http://gulp.orangehairedboy.com/help/

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Is this Project still alive?...

Doobes
Doobes's picture
WebmasterCouncil memberMagazine teamCavern CrierUru2U TeamMessenger

As far as I know, it is.  If something is wrong, I can get in touch with OHB for you and see what the problem is.

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Hmm.. I just cant find the "uniform translations" on URU Localization Project Page... Or It isn't done yet, but still in progress?

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Yes, I think that that project has never been made public, never launched.

I'll kick OHB

Doobes
Doobes's picture

Leonardo wrote:

I'll kick OHB

Be careful...you know he kicks back. cheeky

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Doobes wrote:

Leonardo wrote:

I'll kick OHB

Be careful...you know he kicks back. cheeky

smileylaugh

Toki
Toki's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Hello, Lyrositor!

And all Translators!

I always thank you.smiley

Please help me a little.

What should I have done to watch the news that I translated here once again?blush

Then to the link to be in the text put it, and how should have expressed how to put in translated sentences?

For example;

text←use [url]

or

change the color of the letter and pull an underline.

[=light blue]text[/]←color

Doobes
Doobes's picture

Toki wrote:

Hello, Lyrositor!

And all Translators!

I always thank you.smiley

Please help me a little.

What should I have done to watch the news that I translated here once again?blush

Then to the link to be in the text put it, and how should have expressed how to put in translated sentences?

For example;

text←use [url]

or

change the color of the letter and pull an underline.

[=light blue]text[/]←color

First off, I apologize in advance if I misunderstand anything in your post.  I'll do my best to answer your questions!

If you want to translate any article on the site, simply click on that article's title to go to the full article.  Next, click the "Translate" tab just below the title and on the next screen, choose "Add Translation" next to the language you want to translate to (in this case, Japanese).  Then, start typing away, using the original article's text as a guide.  Once all that is done, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click "Save".  Translation complete!

As far as editing the text and adding links, all the buttons for that are above the editing window.  If you're not sure which does what, just play around with them until you're more comfortable with how they work.

Anyway, hope that helps.  If not, post again.  We'll get this figured out eventually! cheeky

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Shorah Toki!

I have seen you have done some translations. When you create a new translation it is in Draft State, just in case you don't finish it right away.

To make them available to the public they need to be changed to the Approved state. How to do this?

This is the page where you can look at the Japanese workflow: http://www.guildofmessengers.com/ja/workflow

There you will see that your articles are in Draft state. When you think one of them is ready for publication, open it, go to Edit and make sure you have selected "Approved" in the Workflow section :D

Toki
Toki's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Doobes wrote:
First off, I apologize in advance if I misunderstand anything in your post. I'll do my best to answer your questions!

Thank you very much, Doobs!

This is very plain explanation.

I always thank for your kindness.smiley

I am not good at much English.

It was hard to understand my English and would not annoy you?

It is me to say an apology.blush

Leonardo wrote:

Thank you very much, Leonardo!

The thing which I looked for was found.wink

I am sorry that my explanation is incomprehensible.

How should I have displayed this part?

1) Chatlogs will be made available each time here.(←this part)

2) If you're unsure about the time of the event, this is the correct timezone's time.(←this part)

3) To convert from your time to GMT-5 time, you can also check this link.(←this part)

There are two methods.

One of the methods uses this.

[ url=url ]text[ /url ]

Another method is this.

Change the part of the URL into a different color and pull an underline.

URL (←with under line)

Which method is preferable?

It repeats itself, but my explanation is incomprehensible, and I'm sorry.

Nev'yn
Nev&#039;yn's picture
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger

@Toki: Are you asking how to create links? (What source code to use???) For example, a link to the Cavern Crier page?

Via Babelfish: 

@トキ:あなたはリンクを作成する方法を求めている?(ソースコードを使用するか?)例えば、へのリンクが洞窟クライヤーのページ?

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |

Toki
Toki's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Sorry, Nev'yn.

Good explanation is difficult.blushsad

Nev'yn wrote:
@Toki: Are you asking how to create links? (What source code to use???) For example, a link to the Cavern Crier page?

Yes, probably it is so.

On a translated sentence, how should I have displayed a linked form?

For example, it is a translated sentence of German;

1) Chatlogs werden hier (←this part)jedesmal bereitstehen.

2) Falls du unsicher über die Zeit der Veranstaltung bist, findest du hier die korrekte Zeitzonen-Zeit.(←this part)

3) Um deine lokale Zeit in GMT-5 umzurechnen, kannst du auch diesen Link (←this part)verwenden.

Please teach it one more.

hier ← Is there a method to express this color?wink

Nev'yn
Nev&#039;yn's picture

I am @work most of today. I'll create something tonight for you...if anyone does not before then. Sorry for the delay!

Toki
Toki's picture
TranslatorMessenger

I am really sorry to put you under great trouble!blush

Because I do not hurry, please spend the time of own effectively.

Have a nice day!smiley

Doobes
Doobes's picture

It's really no trouble at all, Toki.  We're here to help. smiley

Nev'yn
Nev&#039;yn's picture

Ok, so I created some instructions on how to create links. Hopefully this is the info you needed!!!

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/sites/default/files/user498/creating_links_001.jpg

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/sites/default/files/user498/creating_links_002.jpg

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/sites/default/files/user498/creating_links_003.jpg

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll do what I can to help!

Toki
Toki's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Doobes wrote:
It's really no trouble at all, Toki. We're here to help. smiley

Oh!

I was impressed. Thank you very much, Doobes!smiley

/salute

Nev'yn wrote:
Ok, so I created some instructions on how to create links. Hopefully this is the info you needed!!!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'll do what I can to help!

Nev'yn!!!surprisesurprise

This … It will be what splendid guidance!!

I understood it very well. Thank you VERY VERY VERY much.

I want to work on translation work still more.yes

BTW

Toki ← What color is this letter?
What should I do to use this color?

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture

Don't worry for the color of the links, they are handles automatically. Just leave it normal in the text editor and it will be converted to the right color when it is displayed :)

Toki
Toki's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Thank you very much, Leonardo!

The place where I wanted to use this color for is a part of the titles.

The color was converted automatically as you said.

(About The GoMe)