Home

Website Feature Request

423 replies [Last post]
shimmerillion
Messenger

Please post your constructive criticism, requests, and applause here!

Shimmerillion | KI 01204798 | rel.to/gome

semplerfi
semplerfi's picture

Guild of Comedy applauses you and your efforts here. :mrgreen:

Thank you. 8)

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

I applaude you for all the really cool website stuff you do. And for putting up with the rest of us. :D

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Narym

This is a CONSTRUCTIVE criticism thread. If you don't have anything at least partially mean to say, don't say nothing at all!! :P

shimmerillion
Messenger

Nanouk suggested this:

Quote:
I would make a GoME new forum with clear instructions about the procedure.
Submit your news (Forum title)

Sub threads subjects
#1- submit yours news
#2- edited for approval (by official GoMe's editor(s))
#3- Approved/final. (response from the person who made the submission)

Any objections or feedback? If not, I will go ahead.

blutec
blutec's picture

my 0.02: no objections, feedback: go 4 it!

grtz, blutec

shimmerillion
Messenger

Converted all pages to 2-column and removed Kalypso's name. Looking into WYSIWYGs for the form.

shimmerillion
Messenger

Changed user registration to email activation to avoid the bug Nanouk noticed.

Added Submit News forum within Visitors per Nanouk's suggestion. Also changed "Visitors" forum (Visitors, Submit News) to NOT require registration before posting. If spam becomes a problem with this, I'll have to change it back. But I figure it's worth a shot. :)

Narym

Ooh, shimmer.

We were going to do a faq about html code for use in the News submission stuff. Do you want to send me a list of what bits of code can be used, and I'll whip something together.

Unless of course you're going to implement a WYSIWYG system there as well

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

I originally posted this under the "Registering on this forum" thread and then realized I should move it here. So, moved. :)

Can someone please enlighten me about the supposed censorship that happened recently with one of the GoW folks' accounts? Now that the heat is died down... I'm guessing it was just a misunderstanding, but apparently:
(a) Someone didn't understand why the signature has to contain something Uru-related, and
(b) Someone objected to not being allowed to put something into their website field that is *not* Uru-related

A personal opinion (intended as constructive criticism, hence the move to this thread):

While I disagree with the GoW members that captchas are an effective or acceptable spam deterrent, I don't like the current system either. I still think a specific question requiring something that is more likely to be well-known in the Uru community, but not known by a spammer, is a better solution. Example: "Name one of the other 4 official guilds. Guild Of: ________". A very simple script can check for any of the acceptable answers, and you can eliminate the human factor of checking the person's signature for validity, and spend the time you'd otherwise waste enjoying a mai tai or something. 8)

I also think that if someone wants to put a non-Uru related website in their website field, they should be permitted to do that.

Marten
Marten's picture
shimmerillion wrote:
Converted all pages to 2-column and removed Kalypso's name. Looking into WYSIWYGs for the form.

Looks much better to me!

Narym

One other small adjustment, perhaps.

Can we have logins and logos for the Guilds, as well, like we have for the affiliates?. That way, they can adjust there own stuff, plus people who read it know its official news, straight from the horse's mouthm, so to speak

shimmerillion
Messenger
Narym wrote:
Ooh, shimmer.

We were going to do a faq about html code for use in the News submission stuff. Do you want to send me a list of what bits of code can be used, and I'll whip something together.

Unless of course you're going to implement a WYSIWYG system there as well

Long-term solution is WYSIWYG, but if you'd like to put together an FAQ with basic stuff like

Yes, but I'll need to know who is representing each Guild first (unless they want to pass around a single login/pass). Do we have official monochrome logos for everyone for the feed icons?

Marten wrote:
Looks much better to me!

haha, thanks ;)

Marten wrote:
Can someone please enlighten me about the supposed censorship that happened recently with one of the GoW folks' accounts? Now that the heat is died down... I'm guessing it was just a misunderstanding, but apparently:
(a) Someone didn't understand why the signature has to contain something Uru-related, and
(b) Someone objected to not being allowed to put something into their website field that is *not* Uru-related

I chose not to read that thread in detail. However, the first point is leftover from when Lynnutte was manually approving all the new accounts. I should be able to turn that off now.
EDIT: Turned off.

I'm not sure what the second point is. Maybe I turned off the website field altogether. I'll check.
EDIT: Still don't know what he's talking about. Was the link deleted or was he simply told it was not allowed? What field was he trying to put the link in? Was this before or after authentication? The form does require that you enter a valid URL, i.e. "http://www.apple.com" instead of "apple.com" - that was all I was able to find. Also, I successfully entered a made-up URL in my profile when I tested it.

Marten
Marten's picture

Regarding the guild logos:

Blade's "D'niDings" font has 3 of the logos, and he recently sent me the other two in Adobe Illustrator format. But... Tweek also told me he has a set, and those might all in the same format, so I'll ask him.

Regarding the GoW issues, I will point Kato to what you've written above, and advise him to send you a PM if his concerns are not adequately addressed. Glad to hear that Lynnutte doesn't need to manually approve the accounts now. I bet she's glad, too!

:D

Anthony

I have a suggestion for the future if not now. You might add an RSS import feature to the site some places like us at TCT and the UO have feeds they post stuff to and it would be great if the news section would just grab something from TCT say and post it straight up as from TCT. Much more efficient.

shimmerillion
Messenger

Anthony, yes, I am working on that feature. The bug I'm running up against is trying to combine two feeds that are generated differently (ours is dynamically created from PHP). I should be able to figure it out once I have a day to just sit down and knock it out.

Anthony

Oh I have one other question it seems that the TCT page on the site does not come up for me anytime I use IE, do you have any idea why?

Narym

What exactly do you mean, ant?

I can get to TCT's affilate page on the messenger's site, and also link to TCT's site from the page, with no problems using Internet Explorer

Anthony

See I can't at all. All I get is a pair of empty tags as the page content.

Narym

Well, I suppose its on your end, then.

You could always just stop using IE, like any normal person :P

Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Quote:
You could always just stop using IE, like any normal person

Hey I object to that....hold on, I'm not normal...sorry, carry on.

Marten
Marten's picture

Anthony,

Let's begin with this question: Which version of IE are you using?

Szark
Szark's picture

IE 7.6.6000.16609 And I see what you mean Anthony it happens to me also.
Szark

Anthony

This happens on both IE 7 and 8.

Marten
Marten's picture

By the affiliates page, I assume you mean

http://messengers.sixpencemedia.com/affiliates/tct.php

?

I am looking at that page in IE 7 ( 7.0.5730.11 ) and the page looks OK. It really helps to have the full version as Szark mentioned. So, next question: Windows Vista or XP? I am on XP. I am guessing that IE 7.6 must be a Vista release; I just confirmed that there are no updates for the copy of IE that I am using.

Szark
Szark's picture

yeah that's the page Marten. I get the full page up ok but if you click on the TCT logo you get the following

Quote:
Index of /affiliates
Parent Directory
cc.php
ccn.php
relayers.php
tct.php
ururadio.php
Apache/2.2.6 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.6 OpenSSL/0.9.8g DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at messengers.sixpencemedia.com Port 80

Oh and yes Marten Vista. It was new back in October. I wanted to buy a Mac but couldn't afford it.
Szark

Anthony

Well what ever was going on seems to be fixed don't know how this had been going on for about a month. BTW I doubt I could upgade much further then I have I'm using the IE 8 beta right now lol.

Marten
Marten's picture

It sounds like Shimmer has fixed whatever was broken then.

Szark, what you describe sounds like you clicked on something that was missing the "tct.php" on the end. I tried every logo on the page though and they always had the tct.php suffix.

So again, I am guessing our webmistress has been at work. :)

shimmerillion
Messenger

Another good trick for IE users to have up their sleeve is shift-refresh. By default, IE doesn't always check for the latest version of a page; so you should always hold down shift while clicking refresh if you think something is not as it should be.

Yes, it sounds like Szark was missing the .php. I will add an index for /affiliates so that error doesn't happen again.

Narym

Cane we have a delete button for the affiliates in the submit news section? I was just playing around with HTML stuff for the faq I sent you, and found that I couldn't delete the post once I'd finished. I can remove the title and all the text, but it stil takes up space on the feed :P

shimmerillion
Messenger

I'll put it on the list. In the meantime, I deleted the post for you.