Home

Website Feature Request

423 replies [Last post]
Nanouk_Metal

:D
Directly from GoMe Online Disco Radio. :P

Here is one of my old favorite disco tune for Shimmer to get to Japan in the right mood. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjrMK0D ... re=related

9 Minutes Extended verion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQP0WZPtIhc

blutec
blutec's picture

wish:
button or tab on GoMe front page: Join Guild of Messengers or Open Jobs kinda thing.

o, and editing the text on the frontpage :) to MORE!

grtz, blutec

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

good suggestion blutec.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Narym

I guess I'm Shimmer's temporary replacement, but I don't have any access at all to the current site, unfortunately. I can only change stuff on the test site, and even then I can't seem to access a lot of the stuff over there, unfortunately :(

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

We'll continue to collect suggestions but everyone should understand that those suggestions will go be considered on the next version of the site.

Narym, I'm not certain that shimmer knows about the problems you're experiencing with the Joomla site. You may wish to PM or e-mail her with a description of the issues you're facing.

Nanouk_Metal

re: New Site Layout/Colors

Like I said to Narym in a PM, I have dificulties for beeing able to see/read the new website. (re: contrast and old age failing eyesight)

Here is an image of what I see (more or less due to photo editor, but near enough to illustrate the problem)

Marten
Marten's picture

I agree with Nanouk; the yellows and golds need some adjustment. They're beautiful... but too difficult to read, and my eyes aren't as old as Nanouk's.

For the Guild of Messengers logo, one possible solution would be to keep the white on yellow, but outline the white with black or a dark gold. This will give it a slightly embossed appearance and will provide contrast. If you want to avoid the embossed look, you'll need to darken the yellow itself.

For the gold text on the off-white background, I am afraid that a fix is not as easy. A darker gold might work, but that it likely to look more brown than gold. So that it doesn't look too bad, I would begin by trying to match the color to the dark gold around the hanging banner in the Guild Pub shown in the animation at the top of the page; while it is very brownish, it should provide better relief for the eyes, and it will fit into the color scheme.

(Actually, I think the whole page would look better if someone spent a little time with the eyedropper tool and picked up colors that more closely match the Pub.)

Other comments:
* The default font is very small
* "Welcome to the FrontPage" could use a better title.
* I really like the feed announcements showing more information than just the title
* We need to spend some time porting announcements from the current Feed to the new site. I will try to work on that this week
* The poll is neat
* Can we get rid of the advertisement panel?
* What is the difference between "News" and "News Feeds" ? The latter seems broken. Also, if the latest news is on the front (home) page, I'd rather not have a separate "News" entry; a link for "Earlier news articles" that goes to a page formatted like the News page, but starting at an earlier date, would be fine.
* Are we going to be able to add the calendar (Google or otherwise) back onto it?

The site is shaping up nicely... please don't see my nitpicking above as being unhappy with the site! I just want to provide some constructive feedback.

Narym

I think the idea for the news feeds was to aggregate news feeds other than our own, including things such as the GoG calendar. It's a bit tricky trying to get things to work with that, especially seeing as none of us realyl have any RSS experience. I tried simply copying the HTML for the calendar into an article, but that didn't work :P

Advertisement module is gone.

More updates as I fix things. Some may require me to play with the template, which is something that's not exactly my forte. I'll try not to break anything :P

EDIT: Ok, I think I can definitively say now that I have no access to the templates themselves, at least not through Joomla. That's still on shimmer's shoulders.
Title of home page has now been changed to something less generic. I've also temporarily created a module for the current GoMe site feed, until we start actually keeping the new site up to date.

You'll also notice several links don't work, or only work partially. This, I believe, has something to do with the way Joomla dynamically generates urls for pages, but alas, this is another thing that I don't have access to, and can't fix.

Oh, and a temp fix for the fonts is to go up the top of the page, click 'site tools' and click the third link on the right under fonts. That will display the fonts as larger, but a permanent fix will have to wait till Shimmer can get to it.

And I'm also randomly playing with the layout. Feedback is appreciated.

Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Quote:
* We need to spend some time porting announcements from the current Feed to the new site. I will try to work on that this week

Is this a case of copy and paste in to the new site, working from the oldest forward? I know you said that the new feed WYSIWYG so if it is a case of copy and paste, do I take a copy from the current feed itself and no need to go in to Edit mode, to keep format the same? Under USER MENU - Submit an Article, then post away? If this is the case let me know and I will get started with the migration.
Szark

Narym

Yes, just 'submit an article', then copy and paste. You can probably just copy straight off the news page, but what I did for the earlier ones was to click submit on the old site, copy out the HTML code and text of the post, then click on the HTML button on the new site when you've opened a form to post a new article, and paste. All the links and stuff will all work properly.

also, down the bottom, open the menu for Section, and select news, then click the appropriate source for Category. Also click on "post to front page", as well. It should all pop in the correct places then :P

Szark
Szark's picture

That's seem ok I will give a shot later, cheers Narym. Just carry on from we you left it June 17 Mysterium.

He is what my desktop looks like, with the page open.
Szark

Narym

Yep, looks good.

Szark
Szark's picture

First one and I made a mistake. I didn't know there was a separate feed for the TCT please can I delete a double post if so how?
Szark

Narym

I'll fix it.

And its cause I'm posting some stuff now too :P I'll stop now and let you do it, I was only doing a couple anyway :D

Remember, section News, category whatever the source is.

And make sure publish and front page are both set to yes

Szark
Szark's picture

Yeah I just figured that out DOH1 Cheers, yes very good at copy directly, it is going to make life a lot easier in the future,
Szark

Narym

lol never mind. I've just done it all. It was actually considerably easier than I thought it would be. Copy, paste, copy, paste...

Szark
Szark's picture

Just taken Dog out for his walk and came back to a nice surprise thanks Narym. Yes that's what I did easy peesy.
Szark

to add Thne contacts page has e-mail addresses on, which is that why we were asked if we want GoMe.com e-mail addresses. If this is the case then yes I think this would be good for me also.

also to add I just read through the FAQ brilliant, all my concerns have been binned. This is shaping up to be one nice website.

BladeLakem

Here are my rushed and piecemeal comments on the new site:

Quote:
The double column layout that happens past the first entry in the News page is confusing. It's hard to tell that those are different columns - I keep wanting to read across.

I find the color scheme really hard on my eyes. Can we go for more sand-color/tan yellows?

The Flash animation in the header is really distracting. I'd suggest a static header. I'm fond of the one on the main site, really.

If the Messengers symbol will be white on a light background, give it a small dark border to make sure it doesn't wash out.

The white background from the header only seems to go down a few inches and stops abruptly.

On several pages, I seem to get no layout and a message that says "OOPS. Your Flash player is missing or outdated.Click here to update your player so you can see this content". I know I have the latest Flash Player (this is my work machine and I use Flash at work). IHere's one page I got it on:

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/index. ... scriptions

On going to

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/index. ... affiliates

, I get a 404 error.
After voting in the poll, it sends me to

http://www.guildofmessengers.com/index. ... favrefcamp

, which gives me a 404 error.

On the FAQ, is there any way to get a Table of Contents at the top? I'd like to see just the questions abd be able to click on a link to jump to the right part of the page.

The GoMe feed box shows items in a different order than the News or home pages.

The layout on the Editing page for articles is all wonky - it's all in one column even when I maximize my browser.

I can't get into the administration panel. Am I supposed to be able to? If not, there shouldn't be a link on the left for it after I log in.

As for bringing in other RSS feeds into the site and showing them, I think that's possible. I posted some links for plugins that do that somewhere here on the forum. Who can install plugins? If you want, with proper access and a go ahead from the Guild, I'd be willing to set up that stuff. I have a tiny bit of experience with RSS

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
As for bringing in other RSS feeds into the site and showing them, I think that's possible. I posted some links for plugins that do that somewhere here on the forum. Who can install plugins? If you want, with proper access and a go ahead from the Guild, I'd be willing to set up that stuff. I have a tiny bit of experience with RSS

Sounds good to me I will leave this up to Marten, Shimmer or Narym, way over my head.

I just thought i would let you know since Blade's post, I have been working on the Logo. Got to play with my new software, after all. Honest opinions on quality only please
Szark

Marten
Marten's picture

I'd go for a gold border, and turn on antialiasing.

Szark
Szark's picture

Cheers Marten you got me digging deep. No not antialiasing, because that was already turned on but what I did was pull the selection out by one pixel and there you go, pic above in Gold.
Szark

BladeLakem

I would put an outline on the text with the same color as the boarder on the symbol, or put the text on a background that is darker.

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
The Flash animation in the header is really distracting. I'd suggest a static header. I'm fond of the one on the main site, really.

I do know Blade I rather like it. It is not the same as other sites and also did I mention I like it. :D Shall we have a vote on it, if we can that is. :D
AS with some of the pages not working, well it is Work in Progress, all we can do is be paitent but yes you do have some valid points there and some good suggestions. I look at websites and I don't see the problems like you guys. It all looked pretty good to me, just shows doesn't it?

Blade, just let you know that I am new to Photoshop, as in five days new. I have had a go with the text but I am finding it very difficult, I think to problem is that it is joined up writing, as too small.

Is it ok for me to muck around with the Logo as I am trying to give an impression as what it might look like? I will keep on playing and i will see what I can come up with.
Szark

What would it look like with a similar colour found in our pub. I couldn't find the same font.

Marten
Marten's picture

Ooh, that looks really nice Szark! (The latest copy).

Szark
Szark's picture

Yep the is the latest copy. I have done with that tonight. Now I am looking for a reliable Screen grab program. My one is just not good enough. I need PNG format. Mine only will set to jpeg and it wont let me change it. Plus it is not very stable so I uninstalled the darn thing. Gadwin, I remember when I first started here and someone recomended this for a capture program, whey hey very cool program. That is me a happy chappy.
Szark

Szark
Szark's picture

Also I noticed, for the future, is that pages 2, 3 and 7 of the news feed on the front page has an overlap of text on the right hand side as you look at it.
Szark

Nanouk_Metal

Yep, Gadwin with all its options is a very good and free Capture/Image-Reformating tool...
http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

If you like to play around with animations, UnFREZZE is a nice little program (free)...
http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/

Watch this for a few seconds...

Marten
Marten's picture

Screen grabbing: I use a registered version of FRAPS myself. That writes out lossless BMP formats by default, which I convert to PNG.

Though another approach is to use Windows' built in functions. Alt-PrtScrn will capture an image of the window with current focus to the "copy/paste" buffer. (PrtScrn by itself will capture the entire desktop.) Then, open up Windows Paint, hit Ctrl-V, and voila. Save that baby in a PNG format (Windows Paint supports PNG!) and you're all good.

Szark
Szark's picture

Cheers Nanouk Yes I have done the Kirel turning sign saying Welcome to Kirel as an animation using Microsoft Gif Animation. It's good for what I do.

Quote:
Though another approach is to use Windows' built in functions. Alt-PrtScrn will capture an image of the window with current focus to the "copy/paste" buffer. (PrtScrn by itself will capture the entire desktop.) Then, open up Windows Paint, hit Ctrl-V, and voila. Save that baby in a PNG format (Windows Paint supports PNG!) and you're all good.

Not good for in game though, no I like easy, press PrtScn and that is it. Yes Fraps was my next and last resort, paid up version. I will see how Gadwin fairs with More and I will go from there. Let people with skill do Video.

Back on topic. Website sorry for that folks, a little intermission. :D :D :twisted:
Szark

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

Just a thought about screen capture, format changes and image manipulation. All the time I was in Uru and other Myst places the windows prtscrn OR Alt prtscrn would capture anything to clipboard. The Irfanview tool is then the easiest thing I've found to use for everything except drawing. It even lightens the dark cavern image correctly, resizes, removes noise, and saves to any format you like, png included. It will run animated gifs you make with unfreeze, build panoramas, play .ogg sound files... what ever, it's just amazing compared to paint, gimp, paint.net etc.
Ahhh sorry that was 2 1/2 cents worth.

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479