423 replies [Last post]
Szark
Szark's picture
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger

and...................finally

Szark
Szark's picture

Here you go Kalypso, thicker lines don't work so well as I have tried it before, it just looks too messy, as you can see.
Szark

Nanouk_Metal

eP is my favorite. :D

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Thanks Szark for my special request. If this is indeed your last batch, my final vote would be eP

Kalypso: #85553

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

I like eR.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Szark
Szark's picture

I think out of all those eK with the blk panel is fav. But it seeing it on the page, that's the real test. Yes eP, traditional and boring...........:D
Szark

Szark
Szark's picture

What we should do is let me know which ones you DON'T like and get a short list going.
Szark

Lynnutte
Forum moderatorCavern CrierMessenger

I don't like eQ or eK.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

How about we put in a pool the 2 being the most favorite by the messengers.

2 eP (Nanouk, Kalypso)
1 eR (Lynnutte)
1 eK with the blk panel (Szark)
1 eM (AlKaera)
1 eS (Lial)

Edit: You can change your favorite anytime, the "real poll" has not started yet.

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:

2 eP (Nanouk, Kalypso)
1 eR (Lynnutte)

What a fine idea, wait until everyone else has voted and when Marten has time do to the mock ups we can all vote again. Whet hey, democracy at work.

eP, blarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Hey for eK with the black panel! Mind you, when I look at eR I think how mellow it looks, without being lost where as eP is in your face.
Szark

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture
Kalypso wrote:

2 eP (Nanouk, Kalypso)
1 eR (Lynnutte)

Ok, I'll vote also. e P, if the background was the same color as the yellow on the website and with with a caveat;

Two primary colors were discussed at some length earlier in the topic. a form of light Brown or Tan (from the Pub) and Yellow from Cyan and in Kirel. What I don't think I've seen Szark put together is a combo. Like eP background with a yellow flying book. the panel can be the background color (tan).
Also, after seeing our logo in the newsletter, the WHITE part didn't do it for me. And, now that I've taken a look at our NEW website, Mostly WHITE that it is, our logo is washed out because part of it is WHITE. The yellow is in the header is perfect for me, the tan/light brown is a bit light and hard to read embedded in the other texts.
So for me, a reversed eJ or eI with eJ's script and a little more yellow than gold. The logo is the flying book yes? Not the background. Of course, if the book became yellow and the background light brown, the website would have to change.

So much for caveats... I think there was a seguay in there too :roll: :lol:

again KI 102324  ancient KI 5969479

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
Like eP background with a yellow flying book. the panel can be the background color (tan).

As you can see that doesn't work too well. Yellow text will not work either, it will get lost, as #2 illustrates. As with the others, well I just don'rt know. I think that's about it, we could go on like this forever. I haven't bothered with any refinements I don't have time at present, but it should give you an idea.
Szark

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture
Quote:
Yellow text will not work either,...I think that's about it, we could go on like this forever.

Oh I agree, yellow text would disappear, of the three, I like the first one best (not 2,3). Of the rest, I'm going with eM over eP only because of two colors, neither of which is WHITE.
And yes, this could go on till next newsletter time and put us all in a schedule bind. :wink: So let's pick one and go with it, the world is waiting. :lol:

Lial
Messenger

I like eS the best because of the contrast and the more refined rendering of the wings above the book. Any of the choices where the logo stands out from the background is fine. On any of them I would prefer the more refined rendering such that the center part of the wings is narrow and stands distinctly above the book.

Lial

KI# 115132

blutec
blutec's picture

My 2cts; i don't mingle in the design colors, you are all doing great deciding on that.

I'd like to comment on the font and use.
I would like to have the options to use the logo with and withouth the text "The Guild of Messengers", to use the logo with our motto "See a Need, Fill a Need" (and without the guild etc.).
I would like to see our name "The guild..." in a siginificant font/design.

I believe Editor & Kalypso have an application received from a graphic designer, could that person maybe have a thought about our font in combination with the logo? (and stop me rambling in fuzziness about this topic?)

grtz, blutec

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

A little bonus: Here is a graphic indicating the traffic we've had on the website since the beginning (the number of times people visited per day).
July 2nd was out best day with 249 visits, 200 unique visitors and 546 pages viewed.

It is not a request but with the new website it would be nice to continue the recent trend and improve that number. ;)

Congrats people for the work done since November. :D

FloCat

Regarding the logo font, I think it would be really nice to utilize a font that looks similar to the D'ni script. I may offer to work on that over at the Guild of Fine Artists, but for now, here's an idea or two. I found them in my list of fonts. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to attach what I found. See if you have Monotype Corsiva and Pristina in your list of fonts and see how they look with the logo. BTW, I do like the logo a lot. Can we use the logo on our personal e-mails and our websites, if so, it's a great way to promote URU/Myst.

Flo

P.S. Can someone show me how to attach images and/or files? Thank you.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Here is how to attach an image of a file.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Will the forum also be moved when we'll use the new website?

Szark
Szark's picture

FloCat yes I have tried both Monotype Corsiva and Pristina fonts and this one is the best I have found, so far, but I am always open to try others. I have treid a least 20 fonts so far.
Szark

Narym

Kalypso, yes, I'm pretty sure it is. However, it should still work the same, it'll simply be migrated.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Thank you Narym.

FloCat
Szark wrote:
FloCat yes I have tried both Monotype Corsiva and Pristina fonts and this one is the best I have found, so far, but I am always open to try others. I have treid a least 20 fonts so far.
Szark

Wow, sorry. Is there a readability trouble with the various fonts? I know some look great for just a word or two or in large print, but when you want to bring it down to smaller sizes, they become almost unreadable.

FloCat

Szark
Szark's picture
Quote:
Wow, sorry. Is there a readability trouble with the various fonts? I know some look great for just a word or two or in large print, but when you want to bring it down to smaller sizes, they become almost unreadable.

Oh don't be sorry FloCat, it shows you are interested. As to the answer well for one yes readability and two, I was trying to match the existing text on the logo that's on the new site. Something that portrays messenger, so this free form script font looks the best. Personaly I would love to see something written in English but resemble the D'ni font. I have been watching over at the GoFA.
Szark

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Szark, not to long ago, there was a website called Myst Fonts with some great Myst/Uruish fonts.

http://www.mystfonts.com/

seems to be down so I don't know if its still possible to get the fonts.

I am not sure but I think Blade Lakem was linked to the website.

BladeLakem

Naw, I was never linked to MystFonts. I made a font myself called DniDings, however.

Andros
Andros's picture
Messenger

Ah. That explains why I though of you when I though about D'ni fonts. ;)

Al'Kaera
Al'Kaera's picture

One difference I've found in the operation of the two Home Pages of the GoMe;
When you click forum from messengers.sixpencemedia.com the forum comes up in a different tab (or page). Not so with our new guildofmessengers.com.The forum comes up in the same tab. I actually prefer it to open a new tab(page). It's easier to refer back and forth when discussing items about the home page.

Sorry If this item has already been brought up. That means I missed it. :mrgreen:
AlKaera

BladeLakem

Any word on getting the tech stuff solved with the new site? I can't move forward until it is.

Marten
Marten's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger

The tech issues were brought up at the last guild meeting, and I believe Narym and Shimmer continued to discuss the issues for a while after that. I, too, would like to know the status of resolving the problems, although I don't want to apply any pressure.

No, no pressure. Especially when I've been absent for a week myself and I feel rather overdue to provide some guidance on the website design. That will be coming this weekend. I promise.

I thought that I should mention, for those of you talking about fonts, that if you see a font elsewhere and you want that font or something similar, there are some sites you may want to check:

http://www.identifont.com/

- you can identify a font or find similar fonts by answering questions about the appearance of characters, such as whether the 3 has a rounded or flat top, or if the center of the M drops completely to the bottom of the letter.

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

- this site will let you upload an image containing some text from a font you've found that you like. For example, take the phpBB logo on this site at the upper left and submit that, and WhatTheFont identifies some very similar fonts in the "Serif Gothic" family.