Home

Website Re-styling

31 replies [Last post]
Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture
WebmasterTranslatorUru2U TeamMessenger

I've been talking to Leonardo about correcting a few website glitches, and so I've been working on a new proposal for the website's style. It's basically the same but it fixes  some old problems (such as the huge navigation bar). Tell me what you think:

http://lyros.ath.cx/drupal/

It's just a shell; nothing works over there, and some things aren't quite the same as on the regular website, but it demonstrates adequately the changes I've brought to the theme.

Signature

Polgara
Polgara's picture
Magazine teamTranslatorMessenger

I don´t know what has to be corrected in the background, so I can only write about the impression I had opening the site.

I like the idea with the squares - gives more structure to the site.

First impression was - well - the site is jumping into my face, sort of "shouts". I think it´s just because the fonts and the gaps are too large. But that are peanuts and easy to change I think.

Next was the "step" in the upper right corner - it somehow tears apart the layout - the search should be integrated into the navigation bar.

What irritates me as well are these round corners. I´ve never been a friend of them and I would say - don´t mix the two sorts of corners. Have you tried normal corners and on the right side just very small gaps between the squares? It´s difficult to describe, so I´ve made a fast copy in PS to show my thoughts.

example

Sorry for so many points. I hope it doesn´t demotivate you because it´s so easy to criticize when someone has started something. That´s not what I want.

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Is this better now?

As for the search bar, I initially thought translations would take up too much space, so I moved it underneath. However, I took the longest one (French, big surprise...) and turns out it fits if I change the width of menu items a bit.

EDIT: Leo, no template changes are necessary, just my new-stylesheet.

Signature

Polgara
Polgara's picture

To me it looks far better - but I`m just one person and one opinion. Fortunately the French translation is not too long.
Nice work.

Can you do something with the Cavern Communication Network - so that the text remains right beside the symbol?

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

No, that's beyond me; I could fix it, but the changes wouldn't be ported over to the GoMe website. The styling is done not at the stylesheet level, but within the website administration panel. However, if I were to fix it, I would try making the icon smaller. That's basically the only thing that can be done. However, it would need to be really small, like this:

Signature

Polgara
Polgara's picture

I think it´s better not to change size. It would look good if the icons could be aligned in one column and the start of the text as well. But if that´s not possible I wouldn´t resize the icons.

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Actually, aligning them all together would be possible by using a table. However, Leo would have to do it once more.

Signature

Polgara
Polgara's picture

If a table is possible to use and if it´s not too much work - I would vote for it.

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Great! I'll build it.

Anybody else have anything to say?

Signature

Doobes
Doobes's picture
WebmasterCouncil memberMagazine teamCavern CrierUru2U TeamMessenger

I'd post here, but I've been chatting with you in the IRC channel.  It's coming along nicely though.  Keep it up. :)

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Following suggestions from Doobes and Hoikas, I have made the following tweakings:

• Removed left margin,
  • Added rounded corners, but much smaller than before,
  • Moved navbar up to header image,
  • Rounded header image/navbar as a hole.

As a compromise between Polgara's suggestions and Doobes/Hoikas, I have made the corners just slightly round, with a 5px radius.

Signature

Trekluver
Trekluver's picture
Magazine team

I'm technically not a messenger, so my only suggestion is to add the bulet points back to the Popular Today and Upcoming Events boxes. I think it looks a little neater with them there. Otherwise, I think it looks great! Awesome job.

One more thing I did notice, was that there is no rss link under Upcoming Events. I don't know if this is by design or if it was forgotten so I figured I'd mention it. 

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture
Forum moderatorMagazine teamCavern CrierMessenger

I'm actually quite hesitent to involve myself into the this project. But, umm...Do you think we can move the "link" to the Cavern Criers Info page to under the Rel.to link?* Oh, look at time!!! I have some filing to do before bed.....

'Night, everyone! (/me runs quickly back into the Archive to hide)

*Nevyn's Note: Which I know has not been created yet...I'll address that elsewhere sometime soon.

| "The truth speaks for itself, I am just the messenger." -Lyta Alexander |

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

@Trekluver: I'll try that, see how it looks.

@Both: The other problems you mentioned, I can't fix, or they will be fixed when (if) this style is applied to the GoMe website. I just copy-pasted static code from the GoMe website into my shell, so some things don't look quite right. Other things, like links in boxes, are beyond my control since they are handled through Drupal and not through the theme.

Signature

Hoikas

Now you just need an obnoxious intro, and it will be perfect.

I was going to put my normal sig image here, then I realized some silly goose set the max sizes too low.

Lunanne
Lunanne's picture
Rel.to MaintainerMagazine moderatorMagazine teamTranslatorMessenger

Now, why don't you just go and troll on your own forum, Hoikas? >.>

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

Nice Lyrositor! :D

I would like from you guys what you think should be changed on the things that Lyrositor has no control on. I don't have control on everything, but there are some ways I can use to style a specific part

Hoikas

Not really sure what you're looking for there Leo, but I think it looks really good after Doobes, Lyrositor, and I had our discussion on IRC... But then again, I might be slightly biased...

... Just my two cents as someone who is totally not a messenger :P

I was going to put my normal sig image here, then I realized some silly goose set the max sizes too low.

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

The best thing about this re-styling (from a technical point of view, that is, and in my opinion) is that it's just that: styling. So no template changes. That means that if you update the theme or something like that, you only have to keep the style.

Signature

Ron Landry
Ron Landry's picture
TranslatorMessenger

I like the restyled website, Lyrositor!

There is only a small cosmetic defect. The two boxes in the main column, standing side by side ("popular today" and "upcoming events") have different hight. In the old layout this was unremarkable, because the boxes have no borders. I know, for "free" webdesign this is an easy to solve problem. But I don't know if the CMS Drupal does support this or not.

Ron.

And so I close realising that perhaps the ending has not been written ye

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

Fixed. That better now?

Signature

Ron Landry
Ron Landry's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Exactly. That's it. Thanks.

And you use for the background of navigation bar and for the header bar of the boxes a very slightly color gradient. It seems, as if nobody but me noticed that. This gives a very subtle 3D effect. I like that.

And so I close realising that perhaps the ending has not been written ye

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture

Well, now that the unpleasent part of the job is done, I just got to visit that intro Hoikas came up with...

I was thinking, perhaps we add some gophers than sing and dance to first time a person visits the homepage? Each one could be stylized to match all present/former members of GoMe?!?

Hmm...A bit over the top, huh? Ah, well! Nevermind!!!

@Hoikas: Sorry, I couldn't resist....Lol!

Trekluver
Trekluver's picture
Magazine team

I love it; those bullet points make it look a lot neater. Awesome job.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

It looks awesome! :)

Also, i have a question to restyling: It's possible to make a pictures translated to different languages?

Lyrositor
Lyrositor's picture

From what I've seen of Drupal, no, sadly, it's impossible (I'm assuming you're talking about the header image, for example). It might be possible for forum buttons and so on, but I doubt it.

Signature

Dagnarus
Dagnarus's picture
TranslatorMessenger

Yes, I mean the  header Image, "Event/submit/news" button, "Cavern open" button, and so on..
Sadly, that is cant be translated... maybe it exists a way to make it possible?... or its to complicated?

Leonardo
Leonardo's picture
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger

the round button on the home page CAN be translated :D

It is more difficult to make it but it should also be possible to translate the Cavern Status Widget

The banner should be translatable with the help of a new module but I don't think it really needs to be translated.

EDIT: I have received from Szark the original files for the Cavern Status Image and the Submit button in Photoshop Format. If you want to translate it PM me with your email, or send me the already translated words. :D

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture

A few housekeeping items. I was looking over the "Guild Business" area. I'm proposing the following changes:

Items 1, 2, and 6 be moved to the FAQ section.

Items 3, 4, 5, 9, and 10 be moved to the MISC section.

Item 7 and 8: Would remain under the tab renamed to "Guild Projects". Should we add a child page for Uru2U?

Guild Business

1. What are the plans and projects of GoMe?
  2. What are the Cavern Criers?
  3. Contests-Rules
  4. Guild Interest Weekend logs
  5. Interviews
  6. Wall of Honor
  7. Newspaper Production
  8. Special Issues
  9. Messengers Meeting Minutes
  10. Website and Forum Updates

Polgara
Polgara's picture

Good changes but I would include sort of a spring-cleaning and perhaps delete some pages.

Nev'yn wrote:

Items 1, 2, and 6 be moved to the FAQ section.

6: I would propose to make a section in FAQ named "History of GoMe" - maybe under the tab of "About GoMe". This page can then be moved to it and be continued.

Nev'yn wrote:

Items 3, 4, 5, 9, and 10 be moved to the MISC section.

3: This contest took place years ago. So I would say delete it or move it to the above suggested section "History of GoMe".

4: There are just two short chatlogs with nearly no information. Are they necessary anymore? Especially as they can`t be continued. So same as 3. above.

5: One "interview" are just proposed questions for Rand. This interview is ready and was not published due to its Q/A format. So why not publish it here or delete the page with the questions for him at least.

9: Same question: needed anymore? More interesting than 3. - but also not continued. It can also be moved to History section.

The Guild Projects tab is a good idea, so everybody can see the ongoing projects easily to decide where to help. So yes, a child page Uru2u should be there.

There is a lot of old stuff. It should clearly be separated from the up-to-date content. That`s why I suggest to make a section named History of GoMe. Everything outside that category should be up-to-date.

Nev'yn
Nev'yn's picture

Wow, we haven't posted here in qbout 4 years?!?  I must summon the techno-gremlins to help revive it!

(*bamf*)

Anyhow...I noticed the front page is restyled. Personally, I  kinda' like it the new way...
...Since the magazine has been defunct for quite a while now.

I also looked over Polgara's post before this one, and think most of the issues have been addressed over the years.

That's about it from me, as I only have a sec. Gotta run and do errands through the tropical storm.

(/salute)